Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Andrew

Default Skype and problem with ALSA mixer driver?

Having used skype successfully in the past with previous CentOS
versions, I haven't yet been able to get it working fully with CentOS
5.3 - the playback sound works OK but I can't get the mic working. I
previously used the skype version installed with yum from the skype repo
but thought maybe this was faulty, so have just installed the static
version (cd skype_static-2.1.0.81). However, the mic still doesn't work
and I've notice the following (repeated) error messages on the command
line (currently this version has to be executed from the command line):

snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is exceptionally large:
203032 bytes (1057 ms).
Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver. Please report this issue
to the ALSA developers.
snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is exceptionally large:
201176 bytes (1047 ms).
Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver. Please report this issue
to the ALSA developers.
snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is exceptionally large:
199280 bytes (1037 ms).
Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver. Please report this issue
to the ALSA developers.

..........etc

Does anybody have any information about this issue/bug and any idea how
to solve the problem?
Thanks,
Andy

Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Ned Slider

Andrew wrote:
> Having used skype successfully in the past with previous CentOS
> versions, I haven't yet been able to get it working fully with CentOS
> 5.3 - the playback sound works OK but I can't get the mic working. I
> previously used the skype version installed with yum from the skype repo
> but thought maybe this was faulty, so have just installed the static
> version (cd skype_static-2.1.0.81). However, the mic still doesn't work
> and I've notice the following (repeated) error messages on the command
> line (currently this version has to be executed from the command line):
>
> snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is exceptionally large:
> 203032 bytes (1057 ms).
> Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver. Please report this issue
> to the ALSA developers.
> snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is exceptionally large:
> 201176 bytes (1047 ms).
> Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver. Please report this issue
> to the ALSA developers.
> snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is exceptionally large:
> 199280 bytes (1037 ms).
> Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver. Please report this issue
> to the ALSA developers.
>
> ..........etc
>
> Does anybody have any information about this issue/bug and any idea how
> to solve the problem?
> Thanks,
> Andy

What version of ALSA driver are you using? Have you tried updating ALSA
as the version within CentOS is quite old now (1.0.14rc3).

Elrepo has an updated ALSA driver package here:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-alsa

Old 01-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Andrew

> What version of ALSA driver are you using? Have you tried updating ALSA
> as the version within CentOS is quite old now (1.0.14rc3).
>
> Elrepo has an updated ALSA driver package here:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-alsa

Thanks for that useful information, but can you tell me exactly how to
perform the update? I tried 'yum update *alsa*' as I have the Elrepo
repository installed, but it came up with 'No Packages marked for
Update'. Do I need to completely remove all the currently installed ALSA
packages and then do 'yum install kmod-alsa? Any advice gratefully
received, thanks.

Andy

Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
>> What version of ALSA driver are you using? Have you tried updating ALSA
>> as the version within CentOS is quite old now (1.0.14rc3).
>>
>> Elrepo has an updated ALSA driver package here:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-alsa
>>
> Thanks for that useful information, but can you tell me exactly how to
> perform the update? I tried 'yum update *alsa*' as I have the Elrepo
> repository installed, but it came up with 'No Packages marked for
> Update'. Do I need to completely remove all the currently installed ALSA
> packages and then do 'yum install kmod-alsa? Any advice gratefully
> received, thanks.

Perhaps, you do not have elrepo enabled (default behavior) ? In that case, try:

yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa

Akemi

Old 01-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Andrew

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 11:03 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> >> What version of ALSA driver are you using? Have you tried updating ALSA
> >> as the version within CentOS is quite old now (1.0.14rc3).
> >>
> >> Elrepo has an updated ALSA driver package here:
> >>
> >> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-alsa
> >>
> > Thanks for that useful information, but can you tell me exactly how to
> > perform the update? I tried 'yum update *alsa*' as I have the Elrepo
> > repository installed, but it came up with 'No Packages marked for
> > Update'. Do I need to completely remove all the currently installed ALSA
> > packages and then do 'yum install kmod-alsa? Any advice gratefully
> > received, thanks.
>
> Perhaps, you do not have elrepo enabled (default behavior) ? In that case, try:
>
> yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa
>
> Akemi

Many thanks,
I've installed kmod-alsa OK but the mic is still not working (with
skype). Do I need to remove the old ALSA packages alsa-lib and
alsa-utils? - because when I type 'yum erase alsa-lib alsa-utils' it
wants to remove 123 packages!

Andy

Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Ned Slider

Andrew wrote:

>>> Thanks for that useful information, but can you tell me exactly how to
>>> perform the update? I tried 'yum update *alsa*' as I have the Elrepo
>>> repository installed, but it came up with 'No Packages marked for
>>> Update'. Do I need to completely remove all the currently installed ALSA
>>> packages and then do 'yum install kmod-alsa? Any advice gratefully
>>> received, thanks.
>> Perhaps, you do not have elrepo enabled (default behavior) ? In that case, try:
>>
>> yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa
>>
>> Akemi
>
> Many thanks,
> I've installed kmod-alsa OK but the mic is still not working (with
> skype). Do I need to remove the old ALSA packages alsa-lib and
> alsa-utils? - because when I type 'yum erase alsa-lib alsa-utils' it
> wants to remove 123 packages!
>
> Andy

No, do *not* remove alsa-lib or alsa-utils (they are core CentOS packages).

Have you rebooted since installing kmod-alsa as the kernel will need to
load the new drivers? If not, please reboot and retest.

If it's still not working after updating ALSA using kmod-alsa from
elrepo (after a reboot), then you might want to consider removing that
package as it hasn't fixed the problem in your case:

yum erase kmod-alsa

Hope that helps.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Andrew

> No, do *not* remove alsa-lib or alsa-utils (they are core CentOS packages).
>
> Have you rebooted since installing kmod-alsa as the kernel will need to
> load the new drivers? If not, please reboot and retest.
>
> If it's still not working after updating ALSA using kmod-alsa from
> elrepo (after a reboot), then you might want to consider removing that
> package as it hasn't fixed the problem in your case:
>
> yum erase kmod-alsa
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks for that advice - I've rebooted and tested again but, although
the playback sound is absolutely fine the mic still doesn't work - when
I try the 'skype testing service' I just get some faint buzzing sounds
instead of (my) intelligible speech. OK, I'll remove kmod-alsa if it
obviously hasn't cured the problem, but where does that leave me? I've
only had this problem since I upgraded to CentOS 5.3 - skype worked
absolutely fine with CentOS 5.0, so I'm wondering if anybody else has
experienced this with CentOS 5.3? I don't particularly want to go back
to CentOS 5.0, but I'm pretty frustrated that I can't use skype at the
moment because it's such a useful communication facility. If I'm going
to stick with CentOS (5.3), isn't there something else I can upgrade to
solve this problem?

Andy

Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 PM
"Marko A. Jennings"

On Sat, January 30, 2010 1:42 pm, Andrew wrote:
> I've only had this problem since I upgraded to CentOS 5.3 - skype worked
> absolutely fine with CentOS 5.0, so I'm wondering if anybody else has
> experienced this with CentOS 5.3?

I have experienced the same problem with three different (in practically
every way) CentOS 5 machines.

Marko

Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Andrew

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 17:18 -0500, Marko A. Jennings wrote:
> On Sat, January 30, 2010 1:42 pm, Andrew wrote:
> > I've only had this problem since I upgraded to CentOS 5.3 - skype worked
> > absolutely fine with CentOS 5.0, so I'm wondering if anybody else has
> > experienced this with CentOS 5.3?
>
> I have experienced the same problem with three different (in practically
> every way) CentOS 5 machines.

Thanks,
But this is disappointing because I want my PC to be completely
functional and skype is part of that requirement - so I suppose I'm
going to have to look around for an alternative to CentOS (5.3). I've
already put Ubuntu on my laptop to get the wifi working (which didn't
with CentOS 5.3), so I may have to do the same with my PC. Pity, because
I started my linux 'experience' with RedHat (6 then 9) and have been a
fan of CentOS for several years.

....unless anybody can come up with a solution to the ALSA mixer
problem!

Andy

Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Frank Cox

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 11:44 +0000, Andrew wrote:
> But this is disappointing because I want my PC to be completely
> functional and skype is part of that requirement - so I suppose I'm
> going to have to look around for an alternative to CentOS (5.3).

My wife uses Skype on Centos 5 (currently 5.4) regularly.

She has a Microsoft Lifechat (USB) headphone/microphone that she uses
for that purpose. If her computer is booted up with the headphone
plugged in, then it doesn't work properly. But if the headphone is
unplugged when the computer is booted and plugged in afterward,
everything is fine.