Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Starting a java applet from the desktop

> CentOS-5.4 i86_64
>
> I have a calculator applet on my desktop (superbcalc.jar). When I
> double click on it I get no response. If I right click and select
> open with java I get no response. If I open a terminal window and
> cd to Desktop and type java -jar superbcalc.jar then the applet
> opens.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why I am seeing this behaviour? There are
> no messages in the syslog file relating to this.

Sure - there's something wrong with the link. You need to find out what
the icon is pointing to. In kde, at least, I can right-click, and select
properties.

mark

Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> CentOS-5.4 i86_64
>
> I have a calculator applet on my desktop (superbcalc.jar). *When I
> double click on it I get no response. *If I right click and select
> open with java I get no response. *If I open a terminal window and
> cd to Desktop and type java -jar superbcalc.jar then the applet
> opens.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why I am seeing this behaviour? *There are
> no messages in the syslog file relating to this.

Easiest thing is to just create a shortcut that calls the jar
properly. The procedure depends on the desktop, but for the most part
it's just a rightclick on the desktop, then on the "link" field you'd
put in your command and the path to the jar. I keep all my jar files
in ~/bin/java/jar and my shortcut does:

java -jar ~/bin/java/jar/myapp.jar

Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, January 28, 2010 10:17, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> Easiest thing is to just create a shortcut that calls the jar
> properly. The procedure depends on the desktop, but for the most
> part it's just a rightclick on the desktop, then on the "link"
> field you'd put in your command and the path to the jar. I keep
> all my jar files in ~/bin/java/jar and my shortcut does:
>
> java -jar ~/bin/java/jar/myapp.jar

Thank you for this information. I had tried creating a custom open
command through properties but did not think to specify the -jar
switch as part of the command. I tried again with the missing
switch added and now it opens the application when I double click on
it.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241