Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Agile Aspect

Default Advanced fsck?

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> My*CentOS server got file system inconsistency , asking for "type Ctrl-D for
> normal boot or give root password for maintenance to run fsck manually". I
> tried for manually run fsck , as the followings :
> #fsck -s /dev/hda3
> But after rebooting the server it will come back again at the similar prompt
> asking for "give root password for maintenance" . Can you please do me favor
> and let me know how can I try for advanced fsck to fix the bug?
> Thank you

I presume /dev/hda3 is root partition.

Try booting off the 1st CD then type

linux rescue

and run fsck from there.

See

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-boot.html

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 AM
hadi motamedi

On 1/28/10, Agile Aspect <agile.aspect@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
> My CentOS server got file system inconsistency , asking for "type Ctrl-D for
> normal boot or give root password for maintenance to run fsck manually". I
> tried for manually run fsck , as the followings :

> #fsck -s /dev/hda3
> But after rebooting the server it will come back again at the similar prompt
> asking for "give root password for maintenance" . Can you please do me favor
> and let me know how can I try for advanced fsck to fix the bug?

> Thank you

I presume /dev/hda3 is root partition.

Try booting off the 1st CD then type

**linux rescue

and run fsck from there.

See

** http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-boot.html

--
**** Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

*
*
Thank you for your reply . I have received my CentOS server as pre-installed , with no CD accompanied . Is there any other way to fix the bug?
Thank you

*

Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Frank Cox

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 10:12 +0330, hadi motamedi wrote:
> I have received my CentOS server as pre-installed , with no CD
> accompanied . Is there any other way to fix the bug?

You can download the appropriate disk image from any of the Centos
mirror sites.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:13 AM
"Geoff Galitz"

*

*

It is probably not a
bug... most likely you have additional filesystems that need checking.* If
you are unsure about what filesystems to check, use the "-A" flag to
fsck:

*

# fsck -A

*

That will check all
applicable filesystems listed in your /etc/fstab file.

*

It is also possible that
the filesystems are too severely damaged to be repaired from single user
mode.* In that case you'll need to download a Centos CD and use rescue
mode and hope that you can recover.

*

-geoff

*

*

---------------------------------

Geoff Galitz

Blankenheim NRW, Germany

http://www.galitz.org/

http://german-way.com/blog/

*

*

Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM
John R Pierce

Geoff Galitz wrote:

> It is probably not a bug... most likely you have additional
> filesystems that need checking. If you are unsure about what
> filesystems to check, use the "-A" flag to fsck:
>

> # fsck -A
>

> That will check all applicable filesystems listed in your /etc/fstab file.
>

> It is also possible that the filesystems are too severely damaged to
> be repaired from single user mode. In that case you'll need to
> download a Centos CD and use rescue mode and hope that you can recover.

and, you need to use -f to actually FIX any structural damage it finds

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:57:53AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

> #fsck -s /dev/hda3
> But after rebooting the server it will come back again at the similar

Did you actually repair the filesystem? You need to either do so
manually, or give the -a flag to automatically repair the volume.

Of course, if you have a large amount of bad sectors or other mechanical
problems, your disk may not be repairable. If you've run fsck and
repaired the volume, but are still having problems, then it's time to
reinstall onto a new hard drive.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM
hadi motamedi

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Todd A. Jacobs <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:57:53AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

> #fsck -s /dev/hda3
> But after rebooting the server it will come back again at the similar

Did you actually repair the filesystem? You need to either do so

manually, or give the -a flag to automatically repair the volume.

Of course, if you have a large amount of bad sectors or other mechanical
problems, your disk may not be repairable. If you've run fsck and

repaired the volume, but are still having problems, then it's time to
reinstall onto a new hard drive.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
* * * *-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

*
Thank you for your reply . Can you please let me know how to check for the amount of bad sectors ( I mean some sort of like scan disk on Windows) ?
Thank you
*

Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 AM

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 08:36:33AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply . Can you please let me know how to check for the
> amount of bad sectors ( I mean some sort of like scan disk on Windows) ?
> Thank you

fsck.ext3 -c - do a read-only badblock test

Thu Jan 28 11:30:01 2010