-   -   Full Virtualized DomU won't boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/316062-full-virtualized-domu-wont-boot.html)

Sergio Belkin 01-27-2010 09:21 PM

Full Virtualized DomU won't boot

Hi, I use Centos 5.4 x86_64

kernel used is 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen

I have a physical machine running Debian Etch (32 bit) and Debian
Lenny and I virtualized the first one as follows:

*Created a HVM DomU with Virt-Manager with a virtual disk file of 40000 M
*Boot from LiveCD, and created a swap and a ext3 partitions (Yes, very
simple layout).
*Rsync'd files from root partition of physical machine to partition
mounted on LiveCD on DomU.
*Chrooted and edited files /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/fstab, etc/mtab,
/boot/grub/device.map.
*Then I rebooted from hard disk and stay freezed with the message
"booting from hard disk" . But it doesn't boot at all from hard disk.

I can boot using grub-rescue-cdrom, but if I try to install grub with
grub-install it outputs:

"The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly"

(I've tried --recheck option, and depmod and update-grub commands with
no success)

Output of file command on virtual disk file is:

/virtuales/videodisk.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x82,
starthead 1, startsector 63, 4273227 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x83,
active, starthead 0, startsector 4273290, 77626080 sectors

The DomU file is:

DomU (file):

name = "video"
uuid = "54d25d78-b9d0-0159-542c-bb601cc936bb"
maxmem = 1024
memory = 512
vcpus = 1
builder = "hvm"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
boot = "d"
pae = 1
acpi = 1
apic = 1
localtime = 0
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncunused = 1
keymap = "es"
disk = [ "file:/virtuales/videodisk.img,hda,w",
"file:/virtuales/isos/grub-rescue-cdrom.iso,hdc:cdrom,r" ]
vif = [ "mac=00:16:36:0b:24:2d,bridge=xenbr0,script=vi f-bridge" ]
parallel = "none"
serial = "pty"
EOF

With grub-rescue cd DomU can boot but as I've said can't install grub
and loads also loopback interface.

Please could you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!

Open Kairos http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
Sergio Belkin -

Pasi Kärkkäinen 01-28-2010 09:15 AM

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 07:21:54PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi, I use Centos 5.4 x86_64
>
> kernel used is 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen
>
> I have a physical machine running Debian Etch (32 bit) and Debian
> Lenny and I virtualized the first one as follows:
>
> *Created a HVM DomU with Virt-Manager with a virtual disk file of 40000 M
> *Boot from LiveCD, and created a swap and a ext3 partitions (Yes, very
> simple layout).
> *Rsync'd files from root partition of physical machine to partition
> mounted on LiveCD on DomU.
> *Chrooted and edited files /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/fstab, etc/mtab,
> /boot/grub/device.map.
> *Then I rebooted from hard disk and stay freezed with the message
> "booting from hard disk" . But it doesn't boot at all from hard disk.
>
> I can boot using grub-rescue-cdrom, but if I try to install grub with
> grub-install it outputs:
>

> "The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly"
>
> (I've tried --recheck option, and depmod and update-grub commands with
> no success)

Well.. stage1 is definitely needed by grub. So grub didn't get installed.
Your domU can't boot then.

- Do you have the stage1 file there?
- Was the partition layout the same for the old server?
- Is the grub.conf "root (hd0,X)" correct for the new disk?

You can install grub from grub-shell like this, after chrooting to the filesystem:

# grub
device (hd0) /dev/sda
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

replace "hd0,0" with the correct partition index.

-- Pasi

Sergio Belkin 01-30-2010 12:20 AM

2010/1/28 Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi>:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 07:21:54PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>> Hi, I use Centos 5.4 x86_64
>>
>> kernel used is 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5xen
>>
>> I have a physical machine running Debian Etch (32 bit) and Debian
>> Lenny and I virtualized the first one as follows:
>>
>> *Created a HVM DomU with Virt-Manager with a virtual disk file of 40000 M
>> *Boot from LiveCD, and created a swap and a ext3 partitions (Yes, very
>> simple layout).
>> *Rsync'd files from root partition of physical machine to partition
>> mounted on LiveCD on DomU.
>> *Chrooted and edited files /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/fstab, etc/mtab,
>> /boot/grub/device.map.
>> *Then I rebooted from hard disk and stay freezed with the message
>> "booting from hard disk" . But it doesn't boot at all from hard disk.
>>
>> I can boot using grub-rescue-cdrom, but if I try to install grub with
>> grub-install it outputs:
>>

>> "The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly"
>>
>> (I've tried --recheck option, and depmod and update-grub commands with
>> no success)
>>

> Well.. stage1 is definitely needed by grub. So grub didn't get installed.
> Your domU can't boot then.
>
> - Do you have the stage1 file there?
> - Was the partition layout the same for the old server?
> - Is the grub.conf "root (hd0,X)" correct for the new disk?
>
> You can install grub from grub-shell like this, after chrooting to the filesystem:
>
> # grub
> device (hd0) /dev/sda
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
>
> replace "hd0,0" with the correct partition index.

I've tried that, If that was the problem, I hadn't asked help to the list :)

I've found that it was a misunderstanding between Grub and the
filesystem. Target filesystem has inodes of 256 bytes while debian
etch version can read inodes of 128 bytes.