Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

Default xterm clones on VNC problem

I've been scratching my head over this one after setting up VNC on
another existing server. Followed the instructions here
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server as usual. It worked
initially. However since this server is going to be installed in a
rather inconvenient place and having done pretty stupid things before,
I decided for the first time to try the portion that says

# Add the following line to ensure you always have an xterm available.
( while true ; do xterm ; done ) &

So that I don't inevitably do something like kill kde and find myself
unable to do anything.

The problem now is, for some reason, I get 4 xterm window after
restarting (or stop/start) vncserver. The symptoms now are

1. Consistently, of the four xterms window, #3 and #4 can be closed.
#1 and #2 will resurrect themselves.

*** Removing the while loop from /home/user/.vnc/xstartup does not change this.

2. if I comment out this line in /home/user/.vnc/xstartup
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
I will not get this problem. At least there will only be one xterm
window in what I think is the primitive twm desktop.

3. If I then uncomment the xinitrc line, I get back 4 xterms window
after restarting vncserver. It's like KDE is somehow insisting on
running that while loop even after I've deleted it from the xstartup
file.

How do I fix this? Admittedly I could simply minimize the two xterm
windows and/or switch virtual desktop and ignore them. but obviously
something is wrong and it makes me uncomfortable.

Everything is 5.3 standard, I've not touched the default X11 config
nor xinitrc. Except I did do an yum update to current.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/27/2010 11:36 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> I've been scratching my head over this one after setting up VNC on
> another existing server. Followed the instructions here
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server as usual. It worked
> initially. However since this server is going to be installed in a
> rather inconvenient place and having done pretty stupid things before,
> I decided for the first time to try the portion that says
>
> # Add the following line to ensure you always have an xterm available.
> ( while true ; do xterm ; done )&
>
> So that I don't inevitably do something like kill kde and find myself
> unable to do anything.
>
> The problem now is, for some reason, I get 4 xterm window after
> restarting (or stop/start) vncserver. The symptoms now are
>
> 1. Consistently, of the four xterms window, #3 and #4 can be closed.
> #1 and #2 will resurrect themselves.
>
> *** Removing the while loop from /home/user/.vnc/xstartup does not change this.
>
> 2. if I comment out this line in /home/user/.vnc/xstartup
> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> I will not get this problem. At least there will only be one xterm
> window in what I think is the primitive twm desktop.
>
> 3. If I then uncomment the xinitrc line, I get back 4 xterms window
> after restarting vncserver. It's like KDE is somehow insisting on
> running that while loop even after I've deleted it from the xstartup
> file.
>
> How do I fix this? Admittedly I could simply minimize the two xterm
> windows and/or switch virtual desktop and ignore them. but obviously
> something is wrong and it makes me uncomfortable.
>
> Everything is 5.3 standard, I've not touched the default X11 config
> nor xinitrc. Except I did do an yum update to current.

I'm not sure about this specific issue, but I'd highly recommend using
freenx instead of vncserver anywhere that it is possible to run nxclient
or the NX client (windows/mac/linux) from www.nomachine.com on the
client side. Performance is much better and the sessions start on
demand with the option to suspend or not when you disconnect.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should really bite the bullet one of
these days and mess around with nxclient. But due to the pre-holiday
work crunch these couple of weeks, I'll have to live with those clones
for now.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Les Mikesell

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should really bite the bullet one of
> these days and mess around with nxclient. But due to the pre-holiday
> work crunch these couple of weeks, I'll have to live with those clones
> for now.

Freenx is packaged, so there is nothing to installing it. The only thing
remotely time-consuming is getting the unique key it puts in
/etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key on the server side into the client, which you
can do in the GUI configuration
Everything else just works.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

Hi,

> Freenx is packaged, so there is nothing to installing it. The only thing
> remotely time-consuming is getting the unique key it puts in
> /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key on the server side into the client, which
> you can do in the GUI configuration

I guess you are right on that account. I got it yum installed and the
nxclient in Windows up in less than 5 minutes. It's been half an hour
since I tried to log in. Copied the users public dsa and imported it,
didn't work. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling with options to
ensure I was using the default nomachine key which hopefully the
windows client is setup with by default, didn't work. Although there
was some error about passwd being unsafe and using -f. Googling around
didn't turn up much useful information except some other folks were
having the same problem without resolution.

Finally tried copy and pasting the key through vnc, didn't work either.

So I'm giving up for now. The answer's probably in documentation
somewhere but I've been going through tons of
documentation/readme/faqs/KB for work with more to digest that I just
don't have the energy to spend on something unessential for now.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion, will try again when I am more free.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'm giving up for now. The answer's probably in documentation
> somewhere but *I've been going through tons of
> documentation/readme/faqs/KB for work with more to digest that I just
> don't have the energy to spend on something unessential for now.

Have you tried the CentOS wiki article?

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX

Note that you can initially skip section 2 (Key-based authentication)
to make things easier. Once you know NX is working, you can do the
authentication setup (recommended but optional).

Akemi

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Les Mikesell

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Freenx is packaged, so there is nothing to installing it. The only thing
>> remotely time-consuming is getting the unique key it puts in
>> /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key on the server side into the client, which
>> you can do in the GUI configuration
>
> I guess you are right on that account. I got it yum installed and the
> nxclient in Windows up in less than 5 minutes. It's been half an hour
> since I tried to log in. Copied the users public dsa and imported it,
> didn't work. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling with options to
> ensure I was using the default nomachine key which hopefully the
> windows client is setup with by default, didn't work. Although there
> was some error about passwd being unsafe and using -f. Googling around
> didn't turn up much useful information except some other folks were
> having the same problem without resolution.
>
> Finally tried copy and pasting the key through vnc, didn't work either.
>
> So I'm giving up for now. The answer's probably in documentation
> somewhere but I've been going through tons of
> documentation/readme/faqs/KB for work with more to digest that I just
> don't have the energy to spend on something unessential for now.
>
> Thanks anyway for the suggestion, will try again when I am more free.

I don't remember having to change anything from defaults. I usually use putty
to ssh in initially and copy/paste the key contents into the NX config. Note
that you aren't using the user's own key, but the one in
/etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key. The software does an initial login as the 'nx'
user, using that session to encrypt the session as the real user logs in with a
password. And if you leave the default (don't check the 'Disable encryption of
all traffic') everything runs over the port 22 ssh connection. But, I've
always used gnome sessions. It might be different if you use KDE.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

Just an update, finally got some spare time to try doing this again.

Nothing better than a clean install right?

So I yum remove nx freenx and reinstalled it.

Then following the wiki instructions, I proceeded to cp the conf
file... only to discover, there is no conf file. Although I
distinctively remember seeing them in my last attempt.

Repeated the uninstall install process again, still no conf file.

So next I tried downloading the .rpm from Nomachine just in case for
some reason those in repos was missing the conf file by some accident.
That made me realize that the Nomachine versions had 3 files,
nxclient, nxnode and nxserver, but the Centos version seems to be
missing nxnode?

Nevertheless, after downloading and I installed the nxclient since
nomachine says it contains tools used by nxnode which in turn contains
tools used by nxserver. However when I got to nxserver, it failed with
errors that the nx user already exist. After userdel nx, doing rpm
erase and install of the package seem to work.

But i still have no conf file, and obviously freenx client still
doesn't connect.

I think I've used vnc for so long that the VNC gods considered me a
valued worshipper and are probably doing their best to prevent my
apostasy and blocking my path to /freenx/paradise

Old 02-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Les Mikesell

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> Just an update, finally got some spare time to try doing this again.
>
> Nothing better than a clean install right?
>
> So I yum remove nx freenx and reinstalled it.
>
> Then following the wiki instructions, I proceeded to cp the conf
> file... only to discover, there is no conf file. Although I
> distinctively remember seeing them in my last attempt.

There should be an /etc/nxserver/node.conf.sample that you can copy to node.conf
if you want to change some defaults. But it should work with the defaults.

> Repeated the uninstall install process again, still no conf file.
>
> So next I tried downloading the .rpm from Nomachine just in case for
> some reason those in repos was missing the conf file by some accident.
> That made me realize that the Nomachine versions had 3 files,
> nxclient, nxnode and nxserver, but the Centos version seems to be
> missing nxnode?

$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/nxnode
freenx-0.7.3-2.el5.centos

On some of my machines I have only:
freenx-0.7.3-2.el5.centos
nx-3.3.0-14.el5.centos
and some also have
nxclient-3.3.0-6 but it is not necessary.

> Nevertheless, after downloading and I installed the nxclient since
> nomachine says it contains tools used by nxnode which in turn contains
> tools used by nxserver. However when I got to nxserver, it failed with
> errors that the nx user already exist. After userdel nx, doing rpm
> erase and install of the package seem to work.
>
> But i still have no conf file, and obviously freenx client still
> doesn't connect.

That's not 'obvious' because it should work with defaults. What do you see in
the detail after the error? The only things that might keep you from connecting
are not permitting both key and password authentication on ssh and not having
the key for the nx user (from /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key) installed in the
client. Maybe you need to:
service freenx-server start
I've forgotten if it starts by default.

--