Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Les Mikesell

Default md boot device

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> The secondary disc was used in a lab rig to boot off of and test something
> after which the primary was replaced and the system was booted off of. It
> saw the secondary as more recent and dropped the primary so, the secondary was
> removed and the primary was used to boot.
>
> Figuring that made it more recent, even after it was restarted with the "now
> older" secondary, it still wants to drop the primary?
>
> W/o blowing out the secondary (it can't be hot added) how can I force the
> primary to not be dropped? I'm amused that even with it used to boot solo,
> and hence timestamps validating it as most recent, md will only use the
> secondary to start from?

Unless there is something on the primary that you need to keep, just re-sync
from the active partition and next time they will come up paired:
mdadm --add md_device missing_partition
cat /proc/mdstat to see the status

If you need to keep something on the primary, remove the secondary and reboot
several times. I think there is a count of clean shutdowns that is used to
determine if one is more current than the other - maybe there is a more
intelligent way to update it, though. Then when you get the right one active,
sync to the other.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Unless there is something on the primary that you need to keep, just re-sync
>from the active partition and next time they will come up paired:
>mdadm --add md_device missing_partition
>cat /proc/mdstat to see the status

Yeah, a one-off test was done to the secondary which was not desired to keep.
So the primary was needed to be brought back as current.

>I think there is a count of clean shutdowns that is used to
>determine if one is more current than the other - maybe there is a more
>intelligent way to update it, though.

I'd love to find this out

I ended up pruning the array while booted off the secondary, booting from the
primary solo and pruning its array, then rebooting off the primary with both
and extending the array and adding the secondary to it. Sigh, that was a PITA.