-   -   Installing an SSL Cert (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/315580-installing-ssl-cert.html)

ML 01-26-2010 11:38 PM

Installing an SSL Cert

HI All,

I am considering buying this:

http://www.godaddy.com/Compare/gdcompare_ssl.aspx?isc=sslqgo003a

Since I have a domain that will be collecting data and processing payments.

Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?

Do I have to run another domain or sub domain for the store? Or can I just run the whole domain on https?

Thanks,
-Jason

"nate" 01-27-2010 01:35 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

ML wrote:

> Since I have a domain that will be collecting data and processing payments.
>
> Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?

Depends on what web server software your running looks like godaddy
has quite a few sets of instructions

http://help.godaddy.com/article/5346

> Do I have to run another domain or sub domain for the store? Or can I just
> run the whole domain on https?

You can run the whole domain on http and https, normally what sites
would do is run the normal site in http, then have redirect/rewrite
rules setup so when a user goes to a part of the site that should
be "secure" then the site automatically sends them to the secure
version of that page.

nate

Greg Patton 01-27-2010 05:23 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

On 1/26/2010 4:38 PM, ML wrote:
> HI All,
>
> I am considering buying this:
>
> http://www.godaddy.com/Compare/gdcompare_ssl.aspx?isc=sslqgo003a
>
> Since I have a domain that will be collecting data and processing payments.
>
> Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?
>
> Do I have to run another domain or sub domain for the store? Or can I just run the whole domain on https?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jason

Is your network PCI certified? If you are going to be processing
payments there are requirements that will need to be met that go far
beyond just having an SSL certificate. Those requirements get even more
stringent if you plan on storing cardholder information. You can find a
copy of the standards at https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/ .

As for your question, you can just run the entire domain under https if
you like. I am assuming you will be using Apache and on any reasonable
hardware it will handle it without even raising a sweat assuming you
aren't talking about outrageous volume levels.

...Greg

John Doe 01-27-2010 08:55 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

> I am considering buying this:
> http://www.godaddy.com/Compare/gdcompare_ssl.aspx?isc=sslqgo003a
> Since I have a domain that will be collecting data and processing payments.
> Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?
> Do I have to run another domain or sub domain for the store? Or can I just run
> the whole domain on https?

FYI, if you get a normal certificate, you can only secure one fqdn.
If you need to secure more, you need a wildcard certificate.

JD

Kai Schaetzl 01-27-2010 10:31 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

Ml wrote on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:38:00 -0800:

> Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?

Exactly where you buy it. Please don't abuse this list as support for
everything.

Kai

KJS 01-27-2010 10:31 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

On 27/01/2010 09:55, John Doe wrote:

>> I am considering buying this:
>> http://www.godaddy.com/Compare/gdcompare_ssl.aspx?isc=sslqgo003a
>> Since I have a domain that will be collecting data and processing payments.
>> Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?
>> Do I have to run another domain or sub domain for the store? Or can I just run
>> the whole domain on https?
>>
> FYI, if you get a normal certificate, you can only secure one fqdn.
> If you need to secure more, you need a wildcard certificate.

It is still going to be cheaper to buy a couple of normal certs for each
one of your fqdn's than buying a wildcard cert (in most cases). I think
godaddy.com are cheap for SSL certs.

Most places you buy certs from will have instructions on how to install
and and configure Apache for SSL certs, I know godaddy does
http://help.godaddy.com/topic/742/article/5238 and has more instructions
when you run through the cert wizard. Make sure you have mod_ssl
installed and setup your vhost entry for 443 google will help you with
this if you don't know how.

HTH

--
Netzen Solutions Ltd
IT Support& Outsourcing, Bristol, London& Bath UK

"Michael A. Peters" 01-28-2010 07:13 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Ml wrote on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:38:00 -0800:
>
>> Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?
>
> Exactly where you buy it. Please don't abuse this list as support for
> everything.
>
> Kai

In fairness, when I bought my cert from godaddy, their linux docs really
sucked. I ended up googling and following cert instructions from
somewhere else.

Lanny Marcus 01-29-2010 12:31 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

> I am considering buying this:
> http://www.godaddy.com/Compare/gdcompare_ssl.aspx?isc=sslqgo003a
>
> Since I have a domain that will be collecting data and processing payments.
>
> Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?
>
> Do I have to run another domain or sub domain for the store? Or can I just run the whole domain on https?

If it is a single root certificate, it will be easier to install. If
it has an Intermediate certificate (chained) it's a little harder to
install. You must have a Dedicated IP address for that domain. You can
get a RapidSSL from Namecheap.com (single root) for $10.95 for one
year. I got a free StartSSL (chained) certificate. I believe you
should only have the sub domain encrypted, because pages that are
encrypted are a little slower.

01-29-2010 11:27 AM

Installing an SSL Cert

Since I have a domain that will be collecting data and processing payments.

Where can I find instructions on how to install the certificate?

Do I have to run another domain or sub domain for the store? Or can I just run the whole domain on https?

Thanks,
-Jason

Ever considerd cacert.org ?

Lanny Marcus 02-02-2010 08:36 PM

Installing an SSL Cert

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:27 AM, <J.Witvliet@mindef.nl> wrote:
> [...]

Jason: I don't think you should run everything on https. I think that
will run more slowly. Run the page(s) with encryption in a subdomain
(secure or ssl or whatever you want to call it).

How to install the certificate will depend upon the control panel you
are using, if the domain is on shared hosting. If it's on a dedicated
box, google for how to install it, if the instructions are not
available on the GoDaddy web site under their Support information.