Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default Strange Problem with dm-0

I began an update of one of our servers via yum and, coincidentally or
not, I have been getting the following logged into the message file since:

messages:Jan 7 15:55:51 inet07 kernel: post_create: setxattr failed,
rc=28 (dev=dm-0 ino=280175)

Now, this tells me that dev dm-0 is out of space but, what is dm-0?

So, can anyone tell me what is happening and why?

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:22 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I began an update of one of our servers via yum and, coincidentally or
> not, I have been getting the following logged into the message file since:
>
> messages:Jan 7 15:55:51 inet07 kernel: post_create: setxattr failed,
> rc=28 (dev=dm-0 ino=280175)
>

> Now, this tells me that dev dm-0 is out of space but, what is dm-0?

On my system,

]# ls -l /dev/mapper
total 0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 0 Dec 29 10:07 VolGroup00-LogVol00
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 3 Dec 29 10:08 VolGroup01-Home01
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 2 Dec 29 10:08 VolGroupAA-lvol1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 1 Dec 29 10:08 VolGroupAE-LogVolTemp
crw------- 1 root root 10, 63 Dec 29 10:07 control
[root@centos01 ~]# ls -l /dev/dm*
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 0 Dec 29 10:07 /dev/dm-0
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 1 Dec 29 10:08 /dev/dm-1
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 2 Dec 29 10:08 /dev/dm-2
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 3 Dec 29 10:08 /dev/dm-3

S/b very similar on yours.

> So, can anyone tell me what is happening and why?

NP here. Do a df or du on the equivalent LVM(?) item.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
"James B. Byrne"

After finishing the update I ran yum clean and then rebooted the server.
On startup the following were logged:

Jan 7 16:43:39 inet07 kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on
readonly file
system.
Jan 7 16:43:39 inet07 kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled
during reco
very.
Jan 7 16:43:39 inet07 kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Jan 7 16:43:39 inet07 kernel: EXT3-fs: dm-0: orphan cleanup on readonly fs
Jan 7 16:43:40 inet07 kernel: EXT3-fs: dm-0: 1 orphan inode deleted
Jan 7 16:43:40 inet07 kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
Jan 7 16:43:40 inet07 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered
data mod
e.

I would appreciate it very much if somebody could enlighten me as to what
happened and why. Is this indicative of a hardware failure?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:59 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:22 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> ><snip>

> On my system,
>
> ]# ls -l /dev/mapper
> total 0
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 0 Dec 29 10:07 VolGroup00-LogVol00
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 3 Dec 29 10:08 VolGroup01-Home01
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 2 Dec 29 10:08 VolGroupAA-lvol1
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 1 Dec 29 10:08 VolGroupAE-LogVolTemp
> crw------- 1 root root 10, 63 Dec 29 10:07 control
> [root@centos01 ~]# ls -l /dev/dm*
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 0 Dec 29 10:07 /dev/dm-0
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 1 Dec 29 10:08 /dev/dm-1
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 2 Dec 29 10:08 /dev/dm-2
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 3 Dec 29 10:08 /dev/dm-3
>
> S/b very similar on yours.
>

> > So, can anyone tell me what is happening and why?
>
> NP here. Do a df or du on the equivalent LVM(?) item.

s/LVM/mounted LVM/

For the raw device, "stat --filesystem <yours>" should be the ticket?

--
Bill

Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
"James B. Byrne"

# ls -l /dev/mapper /dev/dm*
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 0 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-0
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 1 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-1
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 2 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-2
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 3 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-3
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 4 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-4
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 5 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-5
brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 6 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-6

/dev/mapper:
total 0
crw------- 1 root root 10, 63 Jan 7 16:42 control
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 0 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-LogVol00
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 2 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-LogVol01
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 1 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-LogVol02
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 3 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--IMAP
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 6 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--IMAP--2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 4 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--MailMan
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 5 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--webfax

I infer that dm-0 ===> VolGroup00-LogVol00 and that
VolGroup00-LogVol00 ===> /

so df / gives

# df /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
8256952 6677880 1159644 86% /

I am guessing that the yum update caused the file system to fill and to
precipitate this problem. Is the the probable cause?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 17:22 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> # ls -l /dev/mapper /dev/dm*
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 0 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-0
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 1 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-1
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 2 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-2
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 3 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-3
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 4 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-4
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 5 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-5
> brw-r----- 1 root root 253, 6 Jan 7 16:42 /dev/dm-6
>
> /dev/mapper:
> total 0
> crw------- 1 root root 10, 63 Jan 7 16:42 control
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 0 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-LogVol00
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 2 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-LogVol01
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 1 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-LogVol02
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 3 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--IMAP
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 6 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--IMAP--2
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 4 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--MailMan
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 5 Jan 7 16:42 VolGroup00-lv--webfax
>
> I infer that dm-0 ===> VolGroup00-LogVol00 and that
> VolGroup00-LogVol00 ===> /
>
> so df / gives
>
> # df /
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> 8256952 6677880 1159644 86% /
>

> I am guessing that the yum update caused the file system to fill and to
> precipitate this problem. Is the the probable cause?

With appx 1.19GB available, by itself I don't think so. There are
underlying tmpfs files systems associated with the LVs. A stat on those
will show a different set of numbers. Maybe one of these filled?

# stat --filesystem /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
File: "/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00"
ID: 0 Namelen: 255 Type: tmpfs
Blocks: Total: 194473 Free: 194415
Available: 194415 Size: 4096
Inodes: Total: 194473 Free: 194075
# stat --filesystem /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-Home01
File: "/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-Home01"
ID: 0 Namelen: 255 Type: tmpfs
Blocks: Total: 194473 Free: 194415
Available: 194415 Size: 4096
Inodes: Total: 194473 Free: 194075
# df -H /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
19G 11G 7.4G 59% /
I *guess* that when doing the update, there were some components that
were in use and could not be *truly* deleted. When the update was being
done, in addition to temporary high-water marks achieved while
transactions were being done, rpms shuffled, etc., there was probably
additional space not yet released by some component that was "replaced"
but could not yet be deleted.

There is also the possibility that your i-nodes were used up. Since I
set my file systems to 4K blocks, I use fewer than normal.

Do "df -i" on mounted FSs.

I *suspect*, relative to your orphaned i-node, that this same underlying
situation was the cause? Some component that couldn't be released was
still active when the file system had to be unmounted. It should no re-
cur unless it really is some other problem.

--
Bill

Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 AM
"James B. Byrne"

# stat --filesystem /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
File: "/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00"
ID: 0 Namelen: 255 Type: tmpfs
Blocks: Total: 258475 Free: 258421 Available: 258421 Size: 4096
Inodes: Total: 224103 Free: 223740

It seems that I have plenty of free inodes now at least.

If it of interest, I did an uptime just prior to shutdown and the server
up was 101 days. I did not run any of the utilities discussed in this
thread prior to the reboot so I cannot say if there was any evidence of a
resource starvation that might relate to uptime.

Thank you very much for your assistance. My postings are a little
disjointed because I subscribe to the digest and have to use the archives
for questions demanding more immediate responses than once a day.