Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 PM
MHR

Default MIgrate/Upgrade from Centos 5.4 32bit to Centos 5.4 64bit

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Oliver Schulze L. <oliver@samera.com.py> wrote:
> Hi,
> It is posible to do a simple procedure to upgrade a Centos 5.4 32bits
> (i686) to
> a Centos 5.4 64bits(x32_64)?
>
> I was thinking about an upgrade or install without formating.
>
> I will have a current backup before doing it.
>
> Any advice/tips is welcome.

I *strongly* doubt it. When you go from 32 to 64 bit systems, you are
essentially replacing the kernel and (at least) about 90% of the
standard libraries. I am willing to bet that this mandates an
installation.

For the record, I've never tried it. When I put CentOS on my machine,
I already had a 64-bit CPU and I never seriously considered NOT using
the 64-bit install.

HTH.

mhr

Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Oliver Schulze L. <oliver@samera.com.py> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> It is posible to do a simple procedure to upgrade a Centos 5.4 32bits
>> (i686) to
>> a Centos 5.4 64bits(x32_64)?
>>
>> I was thinking about an upgrade or install without formating.
>>
>> I will have a current backup before doing it.
>>
>> Any advice/tips is welcome.
>>

> I *strongly* doubt it. *When you go from 32 to 64 bit systems, you are
> essentially replacing the kernel and (at least) about 90% of the
> standard libraries. *I am willing to bet that this mandates an
> installation.
>
> For the record, I've never tried it. *When I put CentOS on my machine,
> I already had a 64-bit CPU and I never seriously considered NOT using
> the 64-bit install.
>
> HTH.
>
> mhr

Sorry - PS: IIRC, you don't _have_ to format your disks to install
over what's on them - check the installation options when you get that
far and read through them carefully. You should be able to re-use
existing partitions, but I can't remember whether that *requires*
reformatting them - I've just always done that (reformat them).

Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Robert Heller

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Oliver Schulze L. <oliver@samera.com.py> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> It is posible to do a simple procedure to upgrade a Centos 5.4 32bits
> >> (i686) to
> >> a Centos 5.4 64bits(x32_64)?
> >>
> >> I was thinking about an upgrade or install without formating.
> >>
> >> I will have a current backup before doing it.
> >>
> >> Any advice/tips is welcome.
> >>

> > I *strongly* doubt it. *When you go from 32 to 64 bit systems, you are
> > essentially replacing the kernel and (at least) about 90% of the
> > standard libraries. *I am willing to bet that this mandates an
> > installation.
> >
> > For the record, I've never tried it. *When I put CentOS on my machine,
> > I already had a 64-bit CPU and I never seriously considered NOT using
> > the 64-bit install.
> >
> > HTH.
> >
> > mhr
> >

> Sorry - PS: IIRC, you don't _have_ to format your disks to install
> over what's on them - check the installation options when you get that
> far and read through them carefully. You should be able to re-use
> existing partitions, but I can't remember whether that *requires*
> reformatting them - I've just always done that (reformat them).

You really should/ought to reformat /, /usr, and /var. /boot and /home
don't need to be reformated (leaving /boot alone allows for multi-OS
version booting, eg CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 or Ubuntu and CentOS or CentOS
and Fedora, etc.). The installer will be unhappy about NOT reformatting
/, /usr, or /var. It will warn about not reformatting /boot -- this is
generally OK though. It will NOT complain about not reformatting /home
or any other random non-system file system you might have (I do things
like have a dedicated /mp3s file system on my laptop for example).

Unlike the *default* file system setup, which only creates /boot and /
file systems, it is *strongly* recomended to instead create separate
/boot, /, and /home file systems (at least these three -- separating
out /usr and/or /var might make sense under some situations, esp.
servers) -- this allows updates, multi-OS, and recovery without having
to make an explicit backup (although, having backups is still
recomended!).

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/