Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Thomas Harold

Default IPTABLEs and port scanning

On 1/5/2010 11:49 AM, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> If your brute force protection is not catching the repeated login
> failures, you should check its configuration.

Or give up and move SSH to a non-standard port, at least from the
outside. (I got tired a few years ago of watching my log files fill up
with attack attempts.)

Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Tue, January 5, 2010 11:56, Ned Slider wrote:

> Those are the *source ports* from the attacking host, not the
> destination port on which you are running SSH. I /assume/ the number
> enclosed in '[]' to be the pid of the sshd instance associated with
> the
> connection attempt.
>
> Hope that helps.

I discovered a mal-configured rule in iptables respecting access to
the local sshd. As this is a gateway machine other connections to
port 22 on different ips have to pass through it. I had conflated
the separate requirements of local and network access into a single
rule which simply did not serve the multiple purposes I imagined it
did.

Thank you to all who replied. I learned a few new things today.

Sincerely,

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241