-   -   bind & kickstart (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/304400-bind-kickstart.html)

"Joseph L. Casale" 01-05-2010 03:01 AM

bind & kickstart

Anyone know what's up w/ trying to install bind through kickstart?
I am trying all variations of group installs, individual package
installs and it just won't install, it either fails on the libs, the
chroot pkg or whatever?

JohnS 01-05-2010 03:46 AM

bind & kickstart

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 04:01 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Anyone know what's up w/ trying to install bind through kickstart?
> I am trying all variations of group installs, individual package
> installs and it just won't install, it either fails on the libs, the
> chroot pkg or whatever?
---
OK using KS.. But from cd disks or http or ftp or nfs? Make sure you do
a self dependancy check on bind itself. Then I would check for the
correct gpg key on bind it self and deps. An iffy cdrom or network
connections that are some times faulty may cause it. Usually with me
turns out to be a semi bad cdrom or corrupt package.

You can switch through to the anaconda terminal that shows all the
errors and that would be a good start to check first hand.

John

"Joseph L. Casale" 01-05-2010 11:26 AM

bind & kickstart

>OK using KS.. But from cd disks or http or ftp or nfs? Make sure you do
>a self dependancy check on bind itself. Then I would check for the
>correct gpg key on bind it self and deps. An iffy cdrom or network
>connections that are some times faulty may cause it. Usually with me
>turns out to be a semi bad cdrom or corrupt package.
>
>You can switch through to the anaconda terminal that shows all the
>errors and that would be a good start to check first hand.

I was testing it an esxi server (can't change consoles:<) from my wkst and
performing the install over vnc.

It only failed when using the dvd or iso to start a cdrom install with the
updates repo supplied. I'll retest today, must be an issue with telus repo...

Install works when type set to url though?

iso and dvd check out fine.

"Joseph L. Casale" 01-06-2010 10:09 PM

bind & kickstart

>OK using KS.. But from cd disks or http or ftp or nfs? Make sure you do
>a self dependancy check on bind itself. Then I would check for the
>correct gpg key on bind it self and deps. An iffy cdrom or network
>connections that are some times faulty may cause it. Usually with me
>turns out to be a semi bad cdrom or corrupt package.
>
>You can switch through to the anaconda terminal that shows all the
>errors and that would be a good start to check first hand.

Ok, finally got on a windows wkst so I could vm this up and be able to switch
consoles.

Looks like the problem is related to using two nics. Even though I specify ksdevice=eth0
on the grub line, it still seems to have trouble for some parts of downloading packages
but not all?

On one of the consoles, I see a dhclient help screen? I guess Anaconda is doing something
with incorrect syntax.

My ks lines are:
network --device=eth0 --bootproto=dhcp
network --device=eth1 --bootproto=static --ip=192.168.13.1 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --hostname=foo.bar.com

So whats wrong here, or how can I resolve this? This *only* manifests when using cdrom and repo,
but if I do a url install, it works?

jlc

"Joseph L. Casale" 01-06-2010 10:17 PM

bind & kickstart

>Ok, finally got on a windows wkst so I could vm this up and be able to switch
>consoles.

I should have paid more attention, I spoke to soon. Problem is elsewhere...

It failed again, so, from the console during install while Anaconda has errored
out, I type `wget http://something_on_my_server and it downloads the file.

If I type `http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm'
it downloads it but it doesn't appear anywhere? If I type `http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm -O foo'

I get a foo in /? WTF is this all about?

JohnS 01-06-2010 10:41 PM

bind & kickstart

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 23:17 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Ok, finally got on a windows wkst so I could vm this up and be able to switch
> >consoles.
>
> I should have paid more attention, I spoke to soon. Problem is elsewhere...
>
> It failed again, so, from the console during install while Anaconda has errored
> out, I type `wget http://something_on_my_server and it downloads the file.
>
> If I type `http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm'
> it downloads it but it doesn't appear anywhere? If I type `http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm -O foo'
>
> I get a foo in /? WTF is this all about?
---

Maybe your networking somewhere. Replace the rpm or reburn the disk. A
disk can check good and still be bad!

[ebla@bla Desktop]$ wget
http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
--2010-01-06 18:38:41--
http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
Resolving www.muug.mb.ca... 130.179.31.46
Connecting to www.muug.mb.ca|130.179.31.46|:80... connected.
Length: 45017 (44K) [application/x-rpm]
Saving to: `bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm'

100%[================================================== =================================================>] 45,017 9.38K/s in 4.8s

2010-01-06 18:38:47 (9.24 KB/s) -
`bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm' saved [45017/45017]

John

JohnS 01-06-2010 10:42 PM

bind & kickstart

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 23:17 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Ok, finally got on a windows wkst so I could vm this up and be able to switch
> >consoles.
>
> I should have paid more attention, I spoke to soon. Problem is elsewhere...
>
> It failed again, so, from the console during install while Anaconda has errored
> out, I type `wget http://something_on_my_server and it downloads the file.
>
> If I type `http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm'
> it downloads it but it doesn't appear anywhere? If I type `http://www.muug.mb.ca/pub/centos/5.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/bind-chroot-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm -O foo'
>
> I get a foo in /? WTF is this all about?
---
Another thought. I just laughed at myself. Yours went into outer
space! There is no saving spot for it?

John

"Joseph L. Casale" 01-06-2010 10:53 PM

bind & kickstart

>Maybe your networking somewhere. Replace the rpm or reburn the disk. A
>disk can check good and still be bad!

I don't follow you:)

This is a kickstart install from a cdrom with a url line pointed to a repo.
Its going across the wire for the bind rpm, that's why its using wget...

I did not only verify the hash, but used another iso and tried a physical
machine with a burned dvd. Same behavior.

There is not a network issue, see the multiple wget commands and the results.
- wget for a file on some other server works.
- wget for the rpm appears to work, but the actual file is no where
- wget for that *same* rpm, but with a -O foo works as well, but I now have a "foo"
file to show for it:)

JohnS 01-06-2010 11:36 PM

bind & kickstart

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 23:53 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Maybe your networking somewhere. Replace the rpm or reburn the disk. A
> >disk can check good and still be bad!
>
> I don't follow you:)
>
> This is a kickstart install from a cdrom with a url line pointed to a repo.
> Its going across the wire for the bind rpm, that's why its using wget...
>
> I did not only verify the hash, but used another iso and tried a physical
> machine with a burned dvd. Same behavior.
>
> There is not a network issue, see the multiple wget commands and the results.
> - wget for a file on some other server works.
> - wget for the rpm appears to work, but the actual file is no where
> - wget for that *same* rpm, but with a -O foo works as well, but I now have a "foo"
> file to show for it:)
---
Have you tried another install tree? for bind ... Only other thing I can
think of is bad NIC enumeration sequence. older kernels have that
problem, dhcp dns issues? does it fetch other rpms fine with wget? any
way to use tcp dump for network trouble shooting?

John