Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Dave Stevens

Default Centos 5.4 and TYAN s4985 motherboard....

On Monday 04 January 2010 07:09:32 am Tom Bishop wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone has any luck with the Tyan s4985 motherboard, I had
> loaded up the latest 5.4 release and in installed most everything that I
> wanted but when I loaded it up, as in processor wise it would lock up.
> Funny thing I could still ssh to it but not do a su - or anything from the
> console. I think it is kernel related and tried the previous kernel but it
> still exhibited the same symptom. The only thing I saw in the log was a
> message about a soft lockup on cpu0, there is a open bug for that but from
> the description doesn't appear to cause any issues. I am running 4 opteron
> 8356 just for clarification....

is your BIOS up to date?

Dave

--
>From outside our borders, the climate crisis doesn't look anything like the
meteors or space invaders that Todd Stern imagined hurtling toward Earth. It
looks, instead, like a long and silent war waged by the rich against the
poor.

Naomi Klein

Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Tom Bishop

I updated to 2.07 is that the latest?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Thomas Harold

On 1/4/2010 10:09 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone has any luck with the Tyan s4985 motherboard, I
> had loaded up the latest 5.4 release and in installed most everything
> that I wanted but when I loaded it up, as in processor wise it would
> lock up. Funny thing I could still ssh to it but not do a su - or
> anything from the console. I think it is kernel related and tried the
> previous kernel but it still exhibited the same symptom. The only thing
> I saw in the log was a message about a soft lockup on cpu0, there is a
> open bug for that but from the description doesn't appear to cause any
> issues. I am running 4 opteron 8356 just for clarification....

Looks like 207 is the latest:
http://www.tyan.com/support_download_bios.aspx?model=S.S4985

According to the OS support matrix:
http://www.tyan.com/tech/OS_Support_AMDRedHat5.aspx

Not all embedded components have drivers (2c = SATA RAID), which should
only indicate that the fake-RAID doesn't work in RHEL 5 64bit.

Try booting other live CDs? Including some from other 64bit distros
that might have a more recent kernel?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Tom Bishop

Yeah I know fedora core 12 works well along with ubuntu 8.04, thats what I am running now with later kernel, I just like to run centos on my production servers...neither of the latter exhibit the same condition that I saw with centos5.4.** I have updated the bios to the latest 2.07 but had already loaded ubuntu 8.04 and running that right now since I needed to get something working, may wait till rhel6 comes along and switch when that sees the light of day, although I'm not sure when that might be...lol

Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Thomas Harold

On 1/5/2010 1:52 PM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Yeah I know fedora core 12 works well along with ubuntu 8.04, thats what
> I am running now with later kernel, I just like to run centos on my
> production servers...neither of the latter exhibit the same condition
> that I saw with centos5.4. I have updated the bios to the latest 2.07
> but had already loaded ubuntu 8.04 and running that right now since I
> needed to get something working, may wait till rhel6 comes along and
> switch when that sees the light of day, although I'm not sure when that
> might be...lol

Or RH might backport a fix into the 2.6.18 kernel.

I'm in the process of pricing out a new system for next year, but I'll
be going with a dual-CPU board. Either the Tyan S8212 line or the S2937
(Thunder n3600T) line. Or maybe a SuperMicro H8DA6+-F board. I'll have
to see whether those boards use the same chipset.

(I have a 3ware 16-port SATA card that is currently the bane of my
2.6.18 kernel existence. Horrid performance under the default 2.6.18
kernel and I haven't gotten around to building a custom kernel with the
3ware drivers.)

As for when RHEL 6 will ship... well if it's based off of FC12 which
came out back in mid-Nov, then we'll probably see RHEL in 1st half of
2010 and it'll be based on 2.6.31. But if they decide to base off of
FC13 (which isn't scheduled until May 2010) then I'd guess late-2010.

(RHEL 5 was based on FC 6. FC 6 shipped in late Oct 2006, RHEL 5
shipped in middle Mar 2007.)

Of course, nothing is final until it ships. The only concrete
information from last September was that FC11 and FC12 would have tech
previews for RHEL 6.