Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

Default Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
(kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself off.
However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
same results...

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Eero Volotinen

On 1/4/10 10:57 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
> I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
> (kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself off.
> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
> same results...
>
> Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

buggy acpi support on server? Try updating to latest bios?

--
Eero

Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

I may do that... However, being that it works in Fedora - was hoping
maybe it was something else

Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Eero Volotinen

On 1/4/10 11:05 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:

> I may do that... However, being that it works in Fedora - was hoping
> maybe it was something else

Maybe fedora has some patches to workaround it.

--
Eero

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM

> I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
> (kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself
> off.
> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
> same results...
>
> Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
fine.

mark

Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

Yes, it is just the Opiplex. I've got an AMD Compaq Presario, Dell
Poweredge SC430 and 4400 as well as a crappy ol' Latitude laptop - all
running CentOS...poweroff works fine on them all Its not a big deal -
just annoying

Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Michael Klinosky

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
> over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
> fine.

I have the same issue with one of my boxes. 'Shutdown' will get to the
point of actually powering down, but just sit at 'System halted'.

Here are the specs:
mb: Gigabyte GA-7ZX rev 1.0
cs: VIA KT133/686A
cpu: AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz
socket: A/462
os: CentOS 5.3
RAM: 384 MB
video: GeForce4 MX440

I recently bought it (used), and this is the only OS I've used on it
(not even a previous CentOS).

What can I check? (logs? ...) What should I look for?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM
mark

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
>> over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
>> fine.
>
> I have the same issue with one of my boxes. 'Shutdown' will get to the
> point of actually powering down, but just sit at 'System halted'.

Use either poweroff or shutdown -h

mark

Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

I tried both - same result

Old 01-05-2010, 02:43 PM

Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, mark wrote:
>> Michael Klinosky wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the same issue with one of my boxes. 'Shutdown' will get to the
>>> point of actually powering down, but just sit at 'System halted'.
>>>
>> Use either poweroff or shutdown -h
>>
> I tried both - same result

At that point I wonder about a bios setting.

mark, not top posting