Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/304258-shutdown-poweroff-does-not-power-off-machine.html)

"Scot P. Floess" 01-04-2010 07:57 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
(kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself off.
However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
same results...

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time :)


Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Eero Volotinen 01-04-2010 08:04 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
On 1/4/10 10:57 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
> I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
> (kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself off.
> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
> same results...
>
> Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

buggy acpi support on server? Try updating to latest bios?

--
Eero
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 01-04-2010 08:05 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
I may do that... However, being that it works in Fedora - was hoping
maybe it was something else :)

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> On 1/4/10 10:57 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
>> I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
>> (kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
>> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself off.
>> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
>> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
>> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
>> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
>> same results...
>>
>> Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
>
> buggy acpi support on server? Try updating to latest bios?
>
> --
> Eero
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Eero Volotinen 01-04-2010 08:09 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
On 1/4/10 11:05 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
>
> I may do that... However, being that it works in Fedora - was hoping
> maybe it was something else :)

Maybe fedora has some patches to workaround it.

--
Eero
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

01-04-2010 08:11 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
> I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
> (kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself
> off.
> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
> same results...
>
> Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
>

Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
fine.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 01-04-2010 11:20 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
Yes, it is just the Opiplex. I've got an AMD Compaq Presario, Dell
Poweredge SC430 and 4400 as well as a crappy ol' Latitude laptop - all
running CentOS...poweroff works fine on them all :) Its not a big deal -
just annoying :)

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>> I've got a Dell Optiplex GX240 I am running CentOS 5.4
>> (kernel 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.centos.plus)... When I had Fedora 11 and 12 on
>> it, I could issue a poweroff command and the machine would power itself
>> off.
>> However, under CentOS it doesn't turn the machine off whatsoever. When it
>> completes, the machine is still running with a message of "system halted."
>> Then I have to physically hit the power button to turn it off... I
>> believe at some point I did try to issue a shutdown command - but had the
>> same results...
>>
>> Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
>>
>
> Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
> over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
> fine.
>
> mark
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Michael Klinosky 01-04-2010 11:36 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
> over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
> fine.

I have the same issue with one of my boxes. 'Shutdown' will get to the
point of actually powering down, but just sit at 'System halted'.

Here are the specs:
mb: Gigabyte GA-7ZX rev 1.0
cs: VIA KT133/686A
cpu: AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz
socket: A/462
os: CentOS 5.3
RAM: 384 MB
video: GeForce4 MX440

I recently bought it (used), and this is the only OS I've used on it
(not even a previous CentOS).

What can I check? (logs? ...) What should I look for?

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

mark 01-04-2010 11:49 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
Michael Klinosky wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
>> over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
>> fine.
>
> I have the same issue with one of my boxes. 'Shutdown' will get to the
> point of actually powering down, but just sit at 'System halted'.
>
Use either poweroff or shutdown -h

mark
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 01-05-2010 01:09 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
I tried both - same result :(

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, mark wrote:

> Michael Klinosky wrote:
>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on well
>>> over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
>>> fine.
>>
>> I have the same issue with one of my boxes. 'Shutdown' will get to the
>> point of actually powering down, but just sit at 'System halted'.
>>
> Use either poweroff or shutdown -h
>
> mark
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect JavaPIM http://sourceforge.net/projects/javapim

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

01-05-2010 02:43 PM

Shutdown/poweroff does not power off machine
 
Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, mark wrote:
>> Michael Klinosky wrote:
>>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>>> Must be the Optiplex - Thursday afternoon, we just did poweroffs on
>>>> well
>>>> over 100 servers (HVAC maintenance this past Sat!), and it worked just
>>>> fine.
>>>
>>> I have the same issue with one of my boxes. 'Shutdown' will get to the
>>> point of actually powering down, but just sit at 'System halted'.
>>>
>> Use either poweroff or shutdown -h
>>
> I tried both - same result :(

At that point I wonder about a bios setting.

mark, not top posting

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.