Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Robert

Default Setting CDROM parms

My apologies in advance for asking such an elementary question. I
called myself searching the Installation Guide and Deployment Guide,
with no success.
The situation is that I bought a Lite-On ATAPI iHAP122 that will not
burn DVDs unless I use hdparm to turn dma off. I bought that drive
because it was a rare beige drive. Until I can find a decent DVD burner
and/or get a Windows machine put together strictly for doing BIOS
updates, running with dma disabled seems to be the best solution.
(hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb )
So, my question is, where should I script the command without having to
become root each time I wat to burn a DVD?

2.6.18-164.9.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Dec 15 21:41:47 EST 2009 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux

This is how it always fails:

[rj@madeleine ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
/dev/hdb=/home/rj/KNOPPIX_V6.2DVD-2009-11-18-EN.iso
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/rj/KNOPPIX_V6.2DVD-2009-11-18-EN.iso
of=/dev/hdb obs=32k seek= 0'
/dev/hdb: "Current Write Speed" is 16.4x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=30h failed with SK=4h/ASC=08h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error
/dev/hdb: flushing cache
/dev/hdb: updating RMA
/dev/hdb: closing disc
[rj@madeleine ~]$

Old 01-03-2010, 03:32 AM
"Mr. X"

> called myself searching the Installation Guide and
> Deployment Guide,
> with no success.
> The situation is that I bought a Lite-On ATAPI iHAP122 that
> will not
> burn DVDs unless I use hdparm to turn dma off. I bought
> that drive
> because it was a rare beige drive. Until I can find a
> decent DVD burner
> and/or get a Windows machine put together strictly for
> doing BIOS
> updates, running with dma disabled seems to be the best
> solution.
> (hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb )
> So, my question is, where should I script the command
> without having to
> become root each time I wat to burn a DVD?

Robert,

The -k flag to hdparm allows you to persist your settings across a reset.
Did you try to elevate the dma to the highest supported by the device?
--------------------- info ------------
sudo hdparm -I /dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
Model Number: Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S
Serial Number:
Firmware Revision: PSU2
Standards:
Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
Configuration:
DRQ response: 50us.
Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=227ns IORDY flow control=120ns
--------------- end snip --------------

On Centos, you can run k3b to handle burning easily. The only caveat is
sometimes on KDE installs you will have the hdc unavailable for exclusive access. You can fix that by
$sudo killall kio_audiocd

see http://bugs.kde.org/135669

One more thing. If you want to demo the Knoppix 6, save burning the DVD and boot the ISO directly with qemu-kvm or qemu with kqemu.

>sudo qemu -kernel-kqemu -cdrom KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN.iso -m 384 -usb -boot d -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user &

put the above on one line. You need 2 packages to run qemu in this fast mode.

$ rpm -qa | grep qemu
dkms-kqemu-1.4.0-0.1.pre1.nodist.rf
qemu-0.10.5-1.el5.rf

--
Mark

Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Robert

Mr. X wrote:

> [...]
I'll try that.
> Did you try to elevate the dma to the highest supported by the device?

Actually, I didn't try very much at all with hdparm because of all the
"caution", "warning", "dangerous", etc.

> --------------------- info ------------
> sudo hdparm -I /dev/cdrom
>
> /dev/cdrom:
>
> ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
> Model Number: Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S
> Serial Number:
> Firmware Revision: PSU2
> Standards:
> Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
> Configuration:
> DRQ response: 50us.
> Packet size: 12 bytes
> Capabilities:
> LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
> DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
> Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
> PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
> Cycle time: no flow control=227ns IORDY flow control=120ns
> --------------- end snip --------------

Mine looks like this:

hdparm -I /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
Model Number: ATAPI iHAP122 8
Serial Number:
Firmware Revision: UL05
Standards:
Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
DRQ response: 50us.
Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=240ns IORDY flow control=120ns

> On Centos, you can run k3b to handle burning easily.
Yes, I usually use k3b; chose cli for this plea for help because the
command and error output appear in one convenient wad.

> The only caveat is

> sometimes on KDE installs you will have the hdc unavailable for exclusive access. You can fix that by
> $sudo killall kio_audiocd
>
> see http://bugs.kde.org/135669
>

> One more thing. If you want to demo the Knoppix 6, save burning the DVD and boot the ISO directly with qemu-kvm or qemu with kqemu.
>

>> sudo qemu -kernel-kqemu -cdrom KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN.iso -m 384 -usb -boot d -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user&
>>
> put the above on one line. You need 2 packages to run qemu in this fast mode.
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep qemu
> dkms-kqemu-1.4.0-0.1.pre1.nodist.rf
> qemu-0.10.5-1.el5.rf

Good info. As far as KNOPPIX in my example, the name kinda leaped out at me:
[rj@madeleine tmp]$ find /home/rj -depth -type f -size +3G -name "*.iso"
/home/rj/KNOPPIX_V6.2DVD-2009-11-18-EN.iso
[rj@madeleine tmp]$

Thanks for the pointers!