Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 AM
ken

Default reading -- and editing -- ebooks

Last week I bought a couple books, not ebooks. I considered buying the
ebook, but don't want to need a special device/appliance to read it.
I'd much prefer to read ebooks on the Linux (CentOS) machine I'm already
using.

Also, I'd like to be able to programmatically convert the ebook into a
format I can edit myself, e.g., HTML.

I have no experience owning or purchasing ebooks. Could people who have
clue me in on how they work and if the above is possible.

Thanks much.

--
Without music, life would be a mistake.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 07:44 -0500, ken wrote:
> I considered buying the
> ebook, but don't want to need a special device/appliance to read it.

http://www.fbreader.org/

I use this all the time and am very happy with it.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
ken

Frank,

Thanks for the info. I looked on the fbreader site and didn't see any
mention of a way to export any of the several ebook formats into plain
text or html. In your use of it, have you found the fbreader has this
capability?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Stephen Harris

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 03:32:48PM -0500, ken wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I looked on the fbreader site and didn't see any
> mention of a way to export any of the several ebook formats into plain
> text or html. In your use of it, have you found the fbreader has this

Check out "calibre"; a great program for managing ebook libraries and
converting between formats.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 PM
ken

Stephen,

Thanks for the tip. It seems calibre outputs not to html, but to txt
formatted files. In the past I've written code to convert Quark (Apple)
to html, so this functionality is something I might be able to provide
(given, of course, enough time in my life for it).

Checking through the dependencies for the latest version of calibre, I
see that centos (v.5.4 updated just moments ago) doesn't provide all of
what's needed. If you're running calibre on centos 5.4, which version?

Thanks again for the info.
ken

Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Stephen Harris

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 08:11:53AM -0500, ken wrote:

Hi ken; could you please not top-post on these lists. The list-standard is
to properly quote and "in-line" responses. Thanks!

> Thanks for the tip. It seems calibre outputs not to html, but to txt

Huh; that's one format it's missing, then! It can output in prc, lit, pdf,
rtf and so many others that I'd have thought it could have done html as well.

> Checking through the dependencies for the latest version of calibre, I
> see that centos (v.5.4 updated just moments ago) doesn't provide all of
> what's needed. If you're running calibre on centos 5.4, which version?

I'm not currently using calibre; I just knew of it.

--

rgds
Stephen