Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Yan Yu

Default need to free space on a root partition.

Hello, there, Happy new year everyone!
I am puzzled here. Could some expert help me shed some light on
this?
this may not be a centos specific Q..
i have a linux machine. and the root partition (/) is full..
so I moved a dir from /data to /var (/var is on a different
partition), and created a link from /data/fa to /var/xyz, the files
under /var/xyz is about 8G,
du /var/fa
8701248 /var/fa

so I thought this should free some space for me, but when I used df,
it gave me similar results before and after the move.. and my rpm
installation would fail due to the lack of space..

/dev/cciss/c0d0p6 15235040 15232452 0 100% /
/dev/cciss/c0d0p8 other partitions have free space....

I was confused on why moving a 8G file to another partition did not
free some space for me?
and I did see that the disk usage for the destination partition/disk
increases after the move..

any pointer is appreciated!
yan

Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 AM
Barry Brimer

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Yan Yu wrote:

> Hello, there, Happy new year everyone!
> I am puzzled here. Could some expert help me shed some light on
> this?
> this may not be a centos specific Q..
> i have a linux machine. and the root partition (/) is full..
> so I moved a dir from /data to /var (/var is on a different
> partition), and created a link from /data/fa to /var/xyz, the files
> under /var/xyz is about 8G,
> du /var/fa
> 8701248 /var/fa
>
> so I thought this should free some space for me, but when I used df,
> it gave me similar results before and after the move.. and my rpm
> installation would fail due to the lack of space..
>
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p6 15235040 15232452 0 100% /
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p8 other partitions have free space....
>
> I was confused on why moving a 8G file to another partition did not
> free some space for me?
> and I did see that the disk usage for the destination partition/disk
> increases after the move..
>
> any pointer is appreciated!

If you do an "lsof" and look for anything that says "deleted" that is
something that has been deleted from disk but is still open somewhere and
the disk space can not be reclaimed until the process that has the file
open lets go of the file. You also may have hard links to files in other
directories that will not allow the disk space to be freed as well.

Barry

Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Yan Yu

thanks for the tip!