Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default mutt execution by daemon

I have a user w/o a shell that runs an app as a daemon that needs to use
mutt to email an attachment from a script.

During testing when the app was ran as root everything worked Now that
we obviously are running as a user w/o a shell this little bit broke. I
used mutt as I needed to send the attachment as mime, and the ability
to specify a muttrc from the cli when executed was useful so we could tweak
the mail headers etc...

Since there is no local mb's at all on this server, are there any mutt gurus
that know off hand how I can manipulate the behavior of mutt to simply send
w/o looking for a mailbox?

Thanks,
jlc

Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Ray Van Dolson

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 04:21:02AM +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have a user w/o a shell that runs an app as a daemon that needs to use
> mutt to email an attachment from a script.
>
> During testing when the app was ran as root everything worked Now that
> we obviously are running as a user w/o a shell this little bit broke. I
> used mutt as I needed to send the attachment as mime, and the ability
> to specify a muttrc from the cli when executed was useful so we could tweak
> the mail headers etc...
>
> Since there is no local mb's at all on this server, are there any mutt gurus
> that know off hand how I can manipulate the behavior of mutt to simply send
> w/o looking for a mailbox?

How do you call mutt? Couldn't you precreate a muttrc file and then
just include its path in however you make your call to mutt?

Regardless, seems like you'd be better off using a Python or PHP script
to send your email....

Ray

Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 04:21 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have a user w/o a shell that runs an app as a daemon that needs to
> use
> mutt to email an attachment from a script.

This may or may not be useful to you, but I use this to handle email
from scripts and programs:

http://www.cleancode.org/projects/email