Old 01-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default one server handled sendmail added two more servers messes things up

Jerry Geis wrote on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:05:35 -0500:

> All three machines have MX records. they all have the same domain name.

"machines" do not have MX records, domains have MX records. I think you
told your provider some wrong information and that's why they set it up
wrong.

> It is a big deal to request changes from the provider so I was hoping
> there was a way
> to just tell the two new machines that incoming email to them just send
> on over to the the
> first machine.
>
> Is there a way to do that - or am I going about this the wrong way?

What you attempt to do is just stupid (no offense intended) if you do not
want these machines to handle mail from external. You will just attract a
lot of spam and bounce a lot of spam for non-existent addresses to
innocent victims.
As a first thing stop sendmail on them or firewall port 25 on them. Then
have your provider set up the correct records. Or use one of the many free
or cheap DNS providers. Anyone of them is surely better than RoadRunner.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 01-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Agile Aspect

> "machines" do not have MX records, domains have MX records.

MX records are associated with the domain but point to machines with
IP addresses running a MTA.

If you don't assign a IP address of a machine with a MTA to the MX
record, then your MX record is useless.

It's essential for fault tolerance to have more than path for your
mailer if you consider your email to be mission critical.

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.