Old 01-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Michael Klinosky

Default missing module dir?

I'm teaching myself about ethernet cards, and found a TLDP page. I have
CentOS 5.3.

In this section: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.4
in the 'Driver as module' subsection, regarding PCI cards, it states
that there should be a directory "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/net"

[mykolas@sr1220 ~]$ uname -r
2.6.18-128.1.16.el5
[mykolas@sr1220 2.6.18-128.1.16.el5]$ pwd
/lib/modules/2.6.18-128.1.16.el5
[mykolas@sr1220 2.6.18-128.1.16.el5]$ ls
build modules.alias modules.ieee1394map modules.ofmap
modules.symbols updates
extra modules.ccwmap modules.inputmap modules.pcimap
modules.usbmap weak-updates
kernel modules.dep modules.isapnpmap modules.seriomap source

There's no 'net' directory. I am guessing that the NIC drivers are
modules (and not compiled into the kernel) - am I wrong? Or, where are
the modules?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:
> I'm teaching myself about ethernet cards, and found a TLDP page. I have
> CentOS 5.3.
>
> In this section: * *http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.4
> in the 'Driver as module' subsection, regarding PCI cards, it states
> that there should be a directory * "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/net"
>
> There's no 'net' directory. I am guessing that the NIC drivers are
> modules (and not compiled into the kernel) - am I wrong? Or, where are
> the modules?

Look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/ for network kernel modules.

Akemi