Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Luciano Rocha

Default Lost mdadm.conf

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 04:40:56PM +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Not all rescue environments have MAKEDEV or have it in $PATH, so this should always work.
>
> Really, on my hp's as well? I don't have any /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx on the ones with software raid...
>
> Nothing is easier than simply:
> # mdadm --detail --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf
>
> And that actually *does* work in all environments...

Does that create the /dev/md* devices? I mean, a *scan* shouldn't change
the filesystem, should it? That's the problem that line tries to fix:
that there's no mdX device in /dev...

--
lfr
0/0

Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM
James Bensley

2010/1/1 Luciano Rocha <strange@nsk.no-ip.org>:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 04:40:56PM +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> >Not all rescue environments have MAKEDEV or have it in $PATH, so this should always work.
>>
>> Really, on my hp's as well? I don't have any /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx on the ones with software raid...
>>
>> Nothing is easier than simply:
>> # mdadm --detail --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf
>>
>> And that actually *does* work in all environments...
>
> Does that create the /dev/md* devices? I mean, a *scan* shouldn't change
> the filesystem, should it? That's the problem that line tries to fix:
> that there's no mdX device in /dev...

I think after adding those details to your mdadm.conf and restarting
your /dev/md* devices would be created?

James

Charles de Gaulle - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html

Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Thomas Harold

On 12/31/2009 11:27 AM, James Bensley wrote:

> I can't say this with 100% certainty but I would of thought that it
> would been fine. I've lost my mdadm.conf (reinstalled OS) with a
> separate 4 disk RAID 5 array and re-assembled the array and carried on
> as if nothing had happened.

Yes, in general, you don't need the mdadm.conf at all. As long as the
array is built out of partitions marked as type "fd: Linux raid autodetect".

However, whenever CentOS installs a new kernel and initrd image file, it
creates (or uses?) an mdadm.conf file within the initial boot
environment. Back when I was migrating a server to a new environment, I
had to unpack the image, edit that copy of mdadm.conf, and then repack
it all in order to get a proper boot.

So I suspect (but am not certain) that the ARRAY lines in
/etc/mdadm.conf are useless on a CentOS system but that the ARRAY lines
inside the initrd image file are the real ones used. But the former may
be used to generate the latter when you install a new kernel.