Old 12-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Barry Brimer

Default upgrade adivce

> I have a new client that is running a fedora 4 system. Can i upgrade
> that box to centos 5 with a reasonable expectation of success or should
> i just back it up and do it from scratch? Also will the samba version
> in centos 5 natively support windows 7 clients?

I would strongly suggest backing it up and building a fresh CentOS 5. Red
Hat doesn't encourage you to upgrade from RHEL 4 to RHEL 5, I certainly
wouldn't try it from Fedora 4. I do not have any Windows 7 systems
connecting to my Samba servers, so I can not help you with that.

Barry

Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM, William Warren
<hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:

> Also will the samba version
> in centos 5 natively support windows 7 clients?

You would need samba3 for Windows 7 support. Try the SerNet Samba 3
Repository. Please see
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories for more
details.

Akemi

Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 AM
唐建伟

Well, I also suggest you do a fresh installation. And, win7 can access
the samba in centerOS.

On 12/31/09, Barry Brimer <lists@brimer.org> wrote:
>> I have a new client that is running a fedora 4 system. Can i upgrade
>> that box to centos 5 with a reasonable expectation of success or should
>> i just back it up and do it from scratch? Also will the samba version
>> in centos 5 natively support windows 7 clients?
>
> I would strongly suggest backing it up and building a fresh CentOS 5. Red
> Hat doesn't encourage you to upgrade from RHEL 4 to RHEL 5, I certainly
> wouldn't try it from Fedora 4. I do not have any Windows 7 systems
> connecting to my Samba servers, so I can not help you with that.
>
> Barry

Tang Jianwei
System Administrator

Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Corey Chandler

William Warren wrote:
> I have a new client that is running a fedora 4 system. Can i upgrade
> that box to centos 5 with a reasonable expectation of success or should
> i just back it up and do it from scratch? Also will the samba version
> in centos 5 natively support windows 7 clients?
>
> Links to tips and tricks are appreciated..
>
> Sincerely,
> William Warren

That's so far from "supported" that I wouldn't even know WHERE to begin...

-- Corey / KB1JWQ

Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 AM
William Warren

On 12/30/2009 8:23 PM, Corey Chandler wrote:
> William Warren wrote:
>
>> I have a new client that is running a fedora 4 system. Can i upgrade
>> that box to centos 5 with a reasonable expectation of success or should
>> i just back it up and do it from scratch? Also will the samba version
>> in centos 5 natively support windows 7 clients?
>>
>> Links to tips and tricks are appreciated..
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> William Warren
>>

> That's so far from "supported" that I wouldn't even know WHERE to begin...
>
> -- Corey / KB1JWQ

ok so the upgrade is out.. Just need to make sure when they bring in
windows 7 machine(this machine runs as a pdc) the 7 clients can connect
without huge amounts of headaches hence why i was looking at cent 5.
I'm not into using third part repos for cent 5 so if the samba native to
cent 5 won't do windows 7 clients without huge issues then i'll have to
find workarounds..

Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM
JohnS

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 17:23 -0800, Corey Chandler wrote:
> William Warren wrote:
> > I have a new client that is running a fedora 4 system. Can i upgrade
> > that box to centos 5 with a reasonable expectation of success or should
> > i just back it up and do it from scratch? Also will the samba version
> > in centos 5 natively support windows 7 clients?
> >
> > Links to tips and tricks are appreciated..
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > William Warren
> >

> That's so far from "supported" that I wouldn't even know WHERE to begin...

How about Dit Dit Dot Dot