Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM
"Neil Aggarwal"

Default chroot problem.

Frank:

> chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

Do you have selinux disabled or enabled?

Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
"Frank M. Ramaekers"

Disabled.

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co. Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr. Fax: (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas 76710

Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
"Frank M. Ramaekers"

Oh, I should mention:
# uname -a
Linux vmlnx000.xxxxxxxx.com 2.6.9-78.0.8.EL #1 SMP Tue Nov 25 19:59:09
EET 2008 s390x s390x s390x GNU/Linux

CentOS 4.7

Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 PM
"nate"

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:

> It's there, I'm not sure what the problem is:
> # ls -l /bin/bash
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 859120 Oct 24 2008 /bin/bash
> # ls -l /chroot/mysql/bin/bash
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 859120 Oct 24 2008 /chroot/mysql/bin/bash

Make sure all of the libraries that bash needs are in the
chroot? ldd <path to binary>

nate

Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote on Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:51:10 -0600:

> chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

man chroot:
If no command is given, run ??${SHELL} -i?? (default: /bin/sh).

Likely bash relies on some library that is not available. (this is an
error thrown by bash, not by chroot!)
I don't see why you think running chroot is a good idea when the website
says to do something else.

Apart from that I very much doubt that using an article from 2003 based on
FreedBSD 4.x is really what you want to follow. There is some good config
stuff in there, but chrooting regularly updated daemons doesn't appear to
be a good idea to me. You have to recompile them again and again for each
security bug found. If you don't do this immediately you may actually be
in more danger than without it. If you want to go that route, why then use
an rpm-based system at all? Rather use OpenBSD.
There may be good reasons why you do like you do, but in general I would
rather use what's coming with the system, like SELinux, an IDS system and
other monitoring, tight firewall rules and tight access control.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Matty

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
>
>> It's there, I'm not sure what the problem is:
>> # ls -l /bin/bash
>> -rwxr-xr-x *1 root root 859120 Oct 24 *2008 /bin/bash
>> # ls -l /chroot/mysql/bin/bash
>> -rwxr-xr-x *1 root root 859120 Oct 24 *2008 /chroot/mysql/bin/bash
>
> Make sure all of the libraries that bash needs are in the
> chroot? ldd <path to binary>

If you are missing binaries / libraries, you can use yum with the
alternate root option to resolve them. Check out the following
document for additional information:

http://prefetch.net/articles/yumchrootlinux.html

Hope this helps,
- Ryan