Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM
"Frank M. Ramaekers"

Default chroot problem.

First, I'm trying to following along on a document on "SecurityFocus"
on "Securing MySQL: step-by-step".

I'm on step 3.8 "Test the configuration". I have my CHROOT directory
structure setup and the chrootuid is failing (haven't figured that one
out, yet). So, I simply tried a 'chroot /chroot/mysql' and got:
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

I realized that the documentation didn't cover this so I simply:
cp -a /bin/bash /chroot/mysql/bin

I'm still getting the same error message when I try 'chroot
/chroot/mysql':
# chroot /chroot/mysql
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

It's there, I'm not sure what the problem is:
# ls -l /bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 859120 Oct 24 2008 /bin/bash
# ls -l /chroot/mysql/bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 859120 Oct 24 2008 /chroot/mysql/bin/bash

(I'm performing this as root, since the mysql userid cannot login.)

Ideas?

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co. Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr. Fax: (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas 76710