Old 12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Slack-Moehrle

Default Sparc?

My 12 year old wants to learn more about servers and has memorized a lot of commands like ls, chmod, du, etc.
He wants to have his own domain and server on the web and I have enough Static IP's, so why not foster this interest.

I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that support Sparc?

Or recommendations? I know OpenBSD does, but I am more versed in Solaris and versions like Slackware or CentOS or Ubuntu.

He also says that ZFS rules all and is pissed Apple did not adopt it. Kids will be kids!

-Jason

Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Timo Schoeler

On 12/29/2009 11:13 PM, Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> My 12 year old wants to learn more about servers and has memorized a
> lot of commands like ls, chmod, du, etc. He wants to have his own
> domain and server on the web and I have enough Static IP's, so why
> not foster this interest.

Hi Jason,

> I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that
> support Sparc?

IIRC there was CentOS 4.6, but I'm not sure. Is it a 'Sun Ultra 5' or a
'SPARCstation 5'?

> Or recommendations? I know OpenBSD does,

Yes, and it does it perfectly.

> but I am more versed in
> Solaris and versions like Slackware or CentOS or Ubuntu.

Solaris support will end with Solaris 9, maybe you can tweak it to run
Solaris 10, but I'm not sure. I had an Ultra 10/440 some years ago, I
think I remember that there were issues back then.

> He also says that ZFS rules all

Yap, it's nice. If he wants ZFS and maybe wants to become a great
hacker, he may want to have a look at FreeBSD for sparc64; it's not a
first tier architecture, so there maybe some adventures during
installation/use, but it could be worth a try...

> and is pissed Apple did not adopt it.

Nah, they didn't need it for their iPods. Or do they still build
computers (or, 'Mac'-labeled PeeCee hardware)? SCNR.

> Kids will be kids!
>

> -Jason

HTH,

Timo

Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
"Neil Aggarwal"

Jason:

> Are there any CentOS versions that support Sparc?

Check out http://sparc.centos.org

Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Tim Nelson

> My 12 year old wants to learn more about servers and has memorized a
> lot of commands like ls, chmod, du, etc.
> He wants to have his own domain and server on the web and I have
> enough Static IP's, so why not foster this interest.

Fantastic! Nothing helps creativity and exploration like the support of a parent.

> I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that
> support Sparc?

Some older CentOS versions may have supported SPARC. Recently, I've been running Debian and FreeBSD on my SPARC gear with no problems to speak of. IIRC, your best bet these days besides Solaris on SPARC is going to be either NetBSD or OpenBSD in terms of support and completeness.

> Or recommendations? I know OpenBSD does, but I am more versed in
> Solaris and versions like Slackware or CentOS or Ubuntu.

See above. :-)

> He also says that ZFS rules all and is pissed Apple did not adopt it.
> Kids will be kids!

You should go into a rant about "When I was your age... we didn't have ZFS, or Reiserfs, or even ext2/3. We had FAT. And we liked it. And nobody complained. Not like you young punks have it with your 'journaling' this and 'snapshots' that."

--Tim

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Slack-Moehrle

Timo,

> I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that
> support Sparc?

IIRC there was CentOS 4.6, but I'm not sure. Is it a 'Sun Ultra 5' or a
'SPARCstation 5'?

It is a Sun Ultra 5

> He also says that ZFS rules all

Yap, it's nice. If he wants ZFS and maybe wants to become a great
hacker, he may want to have a look at FreeBSD for sparc64; it's not a
first tier architecture, so there maybe some adventures during
installation/use, but it could be worth a try...

Ah, I forgot about FreeBSD.

> and is pissed Apple did not adopt it.

Nah, they didn't need it for their iPods. Or do they still build
computers (or, 'Mac'-labeled PeeCee hardware)? SCNR.

I think I saw that my local Apple Store did have one computer for sale..maybe more

-Jason

Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Peter A

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 17:13:52 Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> My 12 year old wants to learn more about servers and has memorized a lot of
> commands like ls, chmod, du, etc. He wants to have his own domain and
> server on the web and I have enough Static IP's, so why not foster this
> interest.
>
> I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that support
> Sparc?
>
> Or recommendations? I know OpenBSD does, but I am more versed in Solaris
> and versions like Slackware or CentOS or Ubuntu.
>
> He also says that ZFS rules all and is pissed Apple did not adopt it. Kids
> will be kids!

I'm sorry if I missed something - but why not just run Solaris 10 then? It
works on an Ultra 5 if you don't need zfs root or have 512MB.

Peter.

--
Censorship: noun, circa 1591. a: Relief of the burden of independent thinking.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Timo Schoeler

On 12/29/2009 11:28 PM, Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Timo,
>
>> I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that
>> support Sparc?
>
> IIRC there was CentOS 4.6, but I'm not sure. Is it a 'Sun Ultra 5' or a
> 'SPARCstation 5'?
>
> It is a Sun Ultra 5
>
>> He also says that ZFS rules all
>
> Yap, it's nice. If he wants ZFS and maybe wants to become a great
> hacker, he may want to have a look at FreeBSD for sparc64; it's not a
> first tier architecture, so there maybe some adventures during
> installation/use, but it could be worth a try...
>
> Ah, I forgot about FreeBSD.

FreeBSD has got the most mature ZFS implementation of the BSDs; however,
NetBSD also got ZFS now (you have to use -current for this), and is the
'more geeky' BSD, if I may say so. I like it most of the BSDs. Also,
their sparc64 port is very good. I ran it on the U10 I had.

>> and is pissed Apple did not adopt it.
>
> Nah, they didn't need it for their iPods. Or do they still build
> computers (or, 'Mac'-labeled PeeCee hardware)? SCNR.
>
> I think I saw that my local Apple Store did have one computer for sale..maybe more

Just kidding.

> -Jason

Timo

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Slack-Moehrle

Hi Peter,

> I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that support
> Sparc?
>
> Or recommendations? I know OpenBSD does, but I am more versed in Solaris
> and versions like Slackware or CentOS or Ubuntu.
>
> He also says that ZFS rules all and is pissed Apple did not adopt it. Kids
> will be kids!

I'm sorry if I missed something - but why not just run Solaris 10 then? It
works on an Ultra 5 if you don't need zfs root or have 512MB.

I think the machine has 256 now, but I should be able to find some 128 cheap at my local computer store.

Solaris 10 does work though? I thought it didn't. This machine is this one:

http://www.fouldsy.com/wp-content/images/uploads/ultra5s.jpg

-Jason

Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Slack-Moehrle

Hi Tim,

>> My 12 year old wants to learn more about servers and has memorized a
>> lot of commands like ls, chmod, du, etc.
>> He wants to have his own domain and server on the web and I have
>> enough Static IP's, so why not foster this interest.

>Fantastic! Nothing helps creativity and exploration like the support of a parent.

He is really into the command-line. His mac is always open to a terminal and he explores how to use each command, practices and memorizes every switch. The other day he reminded me that the -h for du was human readable. Little did he know I can easily convert in my head without using -h...but.

Also, when you catch him ssh'ing into your production web-server and notice he has all of your passwords written in a text file called 'dont show dad', he is ready for his own server. Also, I had to tell him that 'dont show dad' was not the best name and draws attention from a dad....he he..

>> He also says that ZFS rules all and is pissed Apple did not adopt it.
>> Kids will be kids!

>You should go into a rant about "When I was your age... we didn't have ZFS, or Reiserfs, or even ext2/3. We had FAT. And we >liked it. And nobody complained. Not like you young punks have it with your 'journaling' this and 'snapshots' that."

ha ha, great idea. I am only 32, but still it is true. He things that his MacBook pro with 4gb RAM, 500gb hd is sub-par these days. He can only run a 'few' virtual machines and insists on dual NICS...

Is he a geek?

-Jason

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 PM
"nate"

Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> My 12 year old wants to learn more about servers and has memorized a lot of
> commands like ls, chmod, du, etc.
> He wants to have his own domain and server on the web and I have enough
> Static IP's, so why not foster this interest.

I'd say go the VM route if you can, safer, easier to un-screw when
he breaks the whole thing, and certainly more dynamic(setup many systems
so they can talk to each other etc), and likely save a lot on power.

nate