Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Lanny Marcus

Default {SOLVED} OT: What are the 2 openssl commands I need to use?

> I looked on the openssl man page but am too dense with commands to
> understand what I need to do..... * Ran into problems generating a key
> and CSR for SSL, *because the web site is on a server with an old
> Ensim Control Panel. *Please someone knowledgeable, *give me the
> openssl commands I need to use, after I ssh into the web site, to
> generate a 2048 bit key and csr. *TIA and Happy New Year!
>
> "I believe the issue you are having is due to the size of the
> encryption key. The ensim control panel generates a 1024 bit key,
> where the certificate you got was 2048 bits. *What you need to do is
> generate a 2048 bit key and csr on your domain. You would

Thank you, to everyone who responded! In the end, it wasn't necessary
for me to use the openssl command, as the man in OLM Tech Support had
suggested to me earlier today. Eddy at StartCom (StartSSL) gave me
the commands, to check the Modulus of the ssl.key and ssl.crt files,
which I'd made this morning, after running into the problem and
confusion, with the 1024 bit CSR from the old Ensim Control Panel and
the 2048 bit files Start SSL created, and the Modulus were identical.
I was able to Import them, successfully, with the Ensim Control
Panel. So, after OLM restarts Apache, the encryption should work. This
was a learning experience for me and I will reread this thread and try
to learn more from it. Happy New Year and again, thank you, to
everyone in this list who shares their time and expertise. Deeply
appreciated!