Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

Default via vb 8001 : vt1211 driver

Hi! I have an vb8001 and i try to make the lm_sensors to work .. i
upgraded to latest version and in the end doesn't find the vt1211
driver ... is it packaged somewhere? (maybe elrepo but it doesn't find
any vt1211 nor 1211 related packages) (of course this is on an Centos 5.4)
Thanks,
Adrian

P.S. i tried to post to lm_sensors mail list but it seem that it is not
working (nor http://lists.lm-sensors.org/mailman/listinfo/lm-sensors)

Old 12-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Ned Slider

On 12/28/2009 09:18 PM, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> Hi! I have an vb8001 and i try to make the lm_sensors to work .. i
> upgraded to latest version and in the end doesn't find the vt1211
> driver ... is it packaged somewhere? (maybe elrepo but it doesn't find
> any vt1211 nor 1211 related packages) (of course this is on an Centos 5.4)
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
> P.S. i tried to post to lm_sensors mail list but it seem that it is not
> working (nor http://lists.lm-sensors.org/mailman/listinfo/lm-sensors)

Hi Adrian,

If you make a request at elrepo.org (either on the bug tracker or
mailing list), then I'm sure I can backport the vt1211 driver for you
and make it available at elrepo.org. From a quick look, lm_sensors (in
5.4) appears to already support vt1211 so you should just need the
kernel module for it.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
"Ben Mohilef"

I could find no precompiled driver that worked. However, I found GNU-GPL code for one that works
nicely on the Point Clark Networks' site. The instructions are for ClearOS 5.4 which is similar to
RHEL/Centos.

Roll your own driver with instructions and vt1211.c code at

http://www.grassmere-productions.pointclark.net/vt1211/vt1211.txt

Install kernel-devel and start at Paragraph #3.

Works nice on my little M10000 mini-itx epia box. Until elrepo or Redhat or Centos supports a
vt1211.ko for RHEL/Centos 5.4, you will have the privilege of recompiling and reinstalling it every time
you update the kernel ( about a 3 minute adventure ).

regards,

benm

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Ben Mohilef <benm@dsl-only.net> wrote:
> I could find no precompiled driver that worked. However, I found GNU-GPL code for one that works
> nicely on the Point Clark Networks' site. The instructions are for ClearOS 5.4 which is similar to
> RHEL/Centos.
>
> Roll your own driver with instructions and vt1211.c code at
>
> http://www.grassmere-productions.pointclark.net/vt1211/vt1211.txt
>
> Install kernel-devel and start at Paragraph #3.
>
> Works nice on my little M10000 mini-itx epia box. *Until elrepo or Redhat or Centos supports a
> vt1211.ko *for RHEL/Centos 5.4, you will have the privilege of recompiling and reinstalling it every time
> you update the kernel ( about a 3 minute adventure ).

Anyone reading the ELRepo mailing list would know that kABI-tracking
kmod-vt1211 now exists. :-D

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2009-December/000186.html

Thanks to Phil/NedSlider.

Akemi