Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Ross Walker

Default Cnetos 5.4 ext3 question...

On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did linux ever get a working fsync() or does it still flush the entire
> filesystem buffer?

Working, meaning reliable, or the ability to sync a memory range
instead of the whole file system? There is sync_page_range() to only
sync only a range, but I think the biggest issue is whether it
actually assures it makes it to disk or just out of memory.

-Ross

Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Les Mikesell

Ross Walker wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did linux ever get a working fsync() or does it still flush the entire
>> filesystem buffer?
>
> Working, meaning reliable, or the ability to sync a memory range
> instead of the whole file system? There is sync_page_range() to only
> sync only a range, but I think the biggest issue is whether it
> actually assures it makes it to disk or just out of memory.

I mean the ability to sync only the buffer associated with the single file
specified by the file descriptor in the argument - without waiting for a bunch
of other unrelated and irrelevant data to sync along with it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Ross Walker

On Dec 28, 2009, at 11:34 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ross Walker wrote:
>> On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Did linux ever get a working fsync() or does it still flush the
>>> entire
>>> filesystem buffer?
>>
>> Working, meaning reliable, or the ability to sync a memory range
>> instead of the whole file system? There is sync_page_range() to only
>> sync only a range, but I think the biggest issue is whether it
>> actually assures it makes it to disk or just out of memory.
>
> I mean the ability to sync only the buffer associated with the
> single file
> specified by the file descriptor in the argument - without waiting
> for a bunch
> of other unrelated and irrelevant data to sync along with it.

I'm pretty sure it just flushes the data associated with the file
descriptor.

-Ross

Old 12-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Les Mikesell

Ross Walker wrote:

>>> Working, meaning reliable, or the ability to sync a memory range
>>> instead of the whole file system? There is sync_page_range() to only
>>> sync only a range, but I think the biggest issue is whether it
>>> actually assures it makes it to disk or just out of memory.
>> I mean the ability to sync only the buffer associated with the
>> single file
>> specified by the file descriptor in the argument - without waiting
>> for a bunch
>> of other unrelated and irrelevant data to sync along with it.
>
> I'm pretty sure it just flushes the data associated with the file
> descriptor.

Maybe I'm thinking of ext2 where it didn't keep track of the directory
associated with the file or walk the tree back flushing them. But it still
seems to not do it right:
http://lwn.net/Articles/270891/

--
Les Mikesell