Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Keith Keller

Default Centos & UPS

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:59:58AM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:

> I received for X-mas an APC UPS system form my computer. I'm looking for how
> I can integrate it into the system so that the system will shut down either
> after the UPS power is low enough or a timed event after the power is out
> will automatically shutdown. Would also like it to be smart enough to stop
> the shut down process if power is restored before the shutdown starts.

I use both apcupsd and NUT (networkupstools.org) for this purpose. I
think NUT is the more complicated product, but it also works in a
multiserver environment (though I never made it that far in my
configuration). In any case, the NUT documentation has good suggestions
for how to test your configuration, which I used (generically) even when
testing apcupsd.

I currently use apcupsd in a single-machine environment, and have it
configured to shut down on low battery. I tested almost all the
scenarios described in the NUT docs, and apcupsd performed fine in all
of them. (One thing I didn't test was whether it restored power
gracefully if line power was restored after shutdown had already began;
if you are concerned about availability you should do this test in
addition to the more obvious ones.)

--keith

--
kkeller@speakeasy.net

Old 12-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 14:26 -0800, Keith Keller wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:59:58AM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:
> >
> > I received for X-mas an APC UPS system form my computer. I'm looking for how
> > I can integrate it into the system so that the system will shut down either
> > after the UPS power is low enough or a timed event after the power is out
> > will automatically shutdown. Would also like it to be smart enough to stop
> > the shut down process if power is restored before the shutdown starts.
>
> I use both apcupsd and NUT (networkupstools.org) for this purpose. I
> think NUT is the more complicated product, but it also works in a
> multiserver environment (though I never made it that far in my
> configuration). In any case, the NUT documentation has good suggestions
> for how to test your configuration, which I used (generically) even when
> testing apcupsd.
>
> I currently use apcupsd in a single-machine environment, and have it
> configured to shut down on low battery. I tested almost all the
> scenarios described in the NUT docs, and apcupsd performed fine in all
> of them. (One thing I didn't test was whether it restored power
> gracefully if line power was restored after shutdown had already began;
> if you are concerned about availability you should do this test in
> addition to the more obvious ones.)
----
apcupsd is both a server and client software so if you have multiple
systems plugged into a single APC UPS device, you can set the system
with the USB/serial cable up as server and other systems as clients.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Drew

HI Robert,

Either apcupsd or NUT(network ups tools) will work. I've used both and
IMO apcupsd often seems to have better support for the newer APC units
then NUT does.

That said, I do prefer NUT because I've been using their tools for a
lot longer. I also run a mixed shop, APC & Liebert UPS's protecting
virtualised CentOS & Windows Server 2003 instances, so NUT's been more
flexible for me.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

Drew wrote:
> That said, I do prefer NUT because I've been using their tools for a
Hi! From where (which repo) can NUT be installed for Centos 5 ?
Thanks,
Adrian

Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Drew

>> That said, I do prefer NUT because I've been using their tools for a

> Hi! From where (which repo) can NUT be installed for Centos 5 ?

epel has a copy of the "old stable" 2.2 branch in their repo.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 12-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Ryan Wagoner

For anybody interested Apcupsd maintains official RH EL 5 RPMs on
their download page. It works great on CentOS.

http://apcupsd.org/dl.php

Ryan

Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 AM
Kristopher Kane

> I received for X-mas an APC UPS system form my computer. *I'm looking for how

WARNING! The following is uninformative.

I am just impressed that you get such presents for X-mas. That
totally beats my two packages of white t-shirts.

--
Kristopher Kane