Old 12-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default rhn_register

Is this available on CentOS systems?
If so, what advantage does running it provide?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Drew

> Is this available on CentOS systems?
> If so, what advantage does running it provide?

As far as I know, that package is used to register your server with
RedHat as part of the RedHat Network subscription system to get their
updates.

On a CentOS box it's pretty much pointless.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 12-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Michel van Deventer

On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 07:38 -0800, Drew wrote:
> > Is this available on CentOS systems?
> > If so, what advantage does running it provide?
>
> As far as I know, that package is used to register your server with
> RedHat as part of the RedHat Network subscription system to get their
> updates.
>
> On a CentOS box it's pretty much pointless.
Unless you're using Spacewalk, the open source version op RHN, in which
case, it's very useful

I have all (ahum 10) my machines connected to a virtual server running
spacewalk.

Regards,

Michel

Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Timothy Murphy

Drew wrote:

>> Is this available on CentOS systems?
>> If so, what advantage does running it provide?
>
> As far as I know, that package is used to register your server with
> RedHat as part of the RedHat Network subscription system to get their
> updates.
>
> On a CentOS box it's pretty much pointless.

I guess that's true.
It was just that I found the yum-rhn-plugin package available on Fedora,
and wondered what it was for.