Old 12-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Frank Cox

Default ip range cidr calculator

I found a command-line program that did this once before, used it for a
while and then forgot about it until right now and I'll be damned if I
can find it again.

A command line IP calculator that takes an address range and give it
back in cidr format.

I found an online one that does this here:

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/subnet-mask-calculator.php

But I would prefer to have the commandline one back again.

Does anyone know what it's called and where it can be found?

Old 12-25-2009, 10:09 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 05:05:53PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> Does anyone know what it's called and where it can be found?

/bin/ipcalc - part of the "initscripts" package.

John

--
If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most
revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.

-- George C. Marshall (1880 - 1959), American military leader and statesman,
creator of the Marshall Plan, the only US Army general to receive the Nobel
Peace Prize, Biennial Report of the Chief of Staff, US Army, 1 September 1945

Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Barry Brimer

> I found a command-line program that did this once before, used it for a
> while and then forgot about it until right now and I'll be damned if I
> can find it again.
>
> A command line IP calculator that takes an address range and give it
> back in cidr format.
>
> I found an online one that does this here:
>
> http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/subnet-mask-calculator.php
>
> But I would prefer to have the commandline one back again.
>
> Does anyone know what it's called and where it can be found?

I like the one at <http://jodies.de/ipcalc-archive/ipcalc-0.41/ipcalc>
which also gives Cisco wildcard masks as well as all the other useful
things.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 2009-12-25 at 17:14 -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:

> I like the one at <http://jodies.de/ipcalc-archive/ipcalc-0.41/ipcalc>
> which also gives Cisco wildcard masks as well as all the other useful
> things.

I'm pretty sure this is the one that I was using before.

Thanks loads for the help.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 2009-12-25 at 17:09 -0600, John R. Dennison wrote:
> > Does anyone know what it's called and where it can be found?
>
> /bin/ipcalc - part of the "initscripts" package.

As far as I can tell, that one doesn't do ranges (from a.b.c.0 to
a.b.e.255 stuff). At least, if it does I haven't figured out the magic
incantation to get it to do that.

The one that Barry posted here does ranges. I'm pretty sure it's the
same one that I was using before.

This time I have put it into a directory that I'm not likely to lose.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:50 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 05:41:29PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> As far as I can tell, that one doesn't do ranges (from a.b.c.0 to
> a.b.e.255 stuff). At least, if it does I haven't figured out the magic
> incantation to get it to do that.

No, it indeed does not. My brain skipped over the part of
your original post that specified you wanting to do
ranges. I blame all the food consumed today

> The one that Barry posted here does ranges. I'm pretty sure it's the
> same one that I was using before.

Also available in the epel repo if you want it in rpm
format.

John

--
TURKEY, n. A large bird whose flesh when eaten on certain religious
anniversaries has the peculiar property of attesting piety and gratitude.

-- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary