Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Joe Klemmer

Default /etc/passwd aand /etc/shadow out of sync on 4.6 box

Fellow list members,

I recently tried to add a user to a little used server that hadn't see
a change in users for quite a while. When I use system-config-users I
get an error alert that says -

The user database cannot be read. This problem
is most likely caused by a mismatch in /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow. The program will exit now.

I awk'ed out the user ID's and ran diff. That came back with the shadow
file having two more users than the passwd file. Ok, fine, whatever.
But the trick now is how to fix this. Can I just use vi and delete the
offending lines from the shadow file? Is there a utility or script that
will sync them in a less potentially destructive way?

Any pointers to info on this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Garrick Staples

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:43:47AM -0500, Joe Klemmer alleged:
> Fellow list members,
>
> I recently tried to add a user to a little used server that hadn't see
> a change in users for quite a while. When I use system-config-users I
> get an error alert that says -
>
> The user database cannot be read. This problem
> is most likely caused by a mismatch in /etc/passwd
> and /etc/shadow. The program will exit now.
>
> I awk'ed out the user ID's and ran diff. That came back with the shadow
> file having two more users than the passwd file. Ok, fine, whatever.
> But the trick now is how to fix this. Can I just use vi and delete the
> offending lines from the shadow file? Is there a utility or script that
> will sync them in a less potentially destructive way?
>
> Any pointers to info on this are greatly appreciated.

Just edit the file. It's fine.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Joe Klemmer

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 00:39 -0800, Garrick Staples wrote:

> > Any pointers to info on this are greatly appreciated.
>
> Just edit the file. It's fine.

Rock-n-roll, man. That did the trick. You know, there would probably
be use for a tool that checked the files and made sure they weren't out
of sync. Isn't pam supposed to have that capability? I have avoided
reading/learning anything about it for years. And I mean YEARS. Maybe
I'll take a peek and see what's in there. And maybe I'll get off my @$$
and figure out Bind/DNS.

Right. And maybe Microsoft will change the licensing for Windows to
GPL.

Anyway, thanks much,
Joe

Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
"Pete Geenhuizen"

On Sun, January 6, 2008 23:12, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Sun,
2008-01-06 at 00:39 -0800, Garrick Staples wrote:

Rock-n-roll, man. That did the trick. You know, there would probably
> be use for a tool that checked the files and made sure they weren't
out
> of sync. Isn't pam supposed to have that capability? I
have avoided
> reading/learning anything about it for years. And
I mean YEARS. Maybe
> I'll take a peek and see what's in there.
And maybe I'll get off my @$$
> and figure out Bind/DNS.
>

> Right. And maybe Microsoft will change the licensing for
Windows to
> GPL.
>
> Anyway, thanks much,
> Joe