Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Kwan Lowe

Default CentOS 5.4 Upgrade installation failure

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener@tropicsoft.com> wrote:
> CentOS 5.3 has been running fairly good except for a slow ethernet
> connection so I thought I would upgrade to CentOS 5.4 to see if that
> improved things. I had previously changed fstab and menu.lst to use UUID
> instead of LABEL in order to insulate myself from partition label
> changes I wanted to make. This worked fine in CentOS 5.3.

No answers, but can you tell me why you're re-installing? Doing a
regular yum update will bring a 5.3 system to a 5.4 system.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Edward Diener

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener@tropicsoft.com> wrote:
>> CentOS 5.3 has been running fairly good except for a slow ethernet
>> connection so I thought I would upgrade to CentOS 5.4 to see if that
>> improved things. I had previously changed fstab and menu.lst to use UUID
>> instead of LABEL in order to insulate myself from partition label
>> changes I wanted to make. This worked fine in CentOS 5.3.
>
> No answers, but can you tell me why you're re-installing? Doing a
> regular yum update will bring a 5.3 system to a 5.4 system.

That worked, thanks ! I am using Smart and once I changed the Smart
channels to point to 5.4 instead of 5.3, Smart got the latest updates,
installed them, and now I am a 5.4 user. I guess if I was using Software
Update it would have automatically picked up the changes, but I find
Smart a much easier and more informative program to use.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 15:52 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
> Smart a much easier and more informative program to use.

In view of the hassle you just went through (unnecessarily) can you
still say that?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Edward Diener

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 15:52 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
>> Smart a much easier and more informative program to use.
>
> In view of the hassle you just went through (unnecessarily) can you
> still say that?

I can say it because I have had problems with Software Update
intermittently in the past. It is also much less informative than Smart
in showing one what is happening when individual packages are being
updated. Fianlly it is pathetic how bare and user-unfriendly the GUI
interface is. But each to their own.