-   -   CentOS 5.4 Upgrade installation failure (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/299992-centos-5-4-upgrade-installation-failure.html)

Edward Diener 12-24-2009 02:53 AM

CentOS 5.4 Upgrade installation failure

CentOS 5.3 has been running fairly good except for a slow ethernet
connection so I thought I would upgrade to CentOS 5.4 to see if that
improved things. I had previously changed fstab and menu.lst to use UUID
instead of LABEL in order to insulate myself from partition label
changes I wanted to make. This worked fine in CentOS 5.3.

When I attempted to upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 using the installation disk
and telling it to upgrade rather than do a new install, the installation
correctly found my root partition as /dev/sdb8. When I proceeded with
the upgrade I received the error:

"Error mounting device UUID=cee298a0-9c47-4a3a-ac84-23db4d20edd5 as /.
No such file or directory. This most likely means the partition has not
been formatted."

But of course it has been formatted and is my / partition running CentOS
5.3.

Does anyone know how to fix this to get CentOS 5.3 upgraded ? Do I have
to use LABEL in fstab and menu.lst for my partitions, or perhaps just
for my root partition ? Any other ideas why this is failing ?