Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Rob Kampen

Default CentOS 5 and Fedora Core

Matt wrote:

If memory serves me correctly I was told CentOS 4.x was based on
Fedora Core 3. So when finding a rpm I always looked for one for
Fedora Core 3 and then it seemed to install ok on CentOS 4. Is CentOS
5 the same way and if so what Core is it based on?

Matt

Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM

> If memory serves me correctly I was told CentOS 4.x was based on
> Fedora Core 3. So when finding a rpm I always looked for one for
> Fedora Core 3 and then it seemed to install ok on CentOS 4. Is CentOS
> 5 the same way and if so what Core is it based on?

No to both. CentOS 4 was RHEL 4; 5 is RHEL 5.

mark

Old 12-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Wednesday 23 December 2009 14:51:23 Matt wrote:
> If memory serves me correctly I was told CentOS 4.x was based on
> Fedora Core 3. So when finding a rpm I always looked for one for
> Fedora Core 3 and then it seemed to install ok on CentOS 4. Is CentOS
> 5 the same way and if so what Core is it based on?

CentOS 5 is based on Fedora Core 6.

That said, be warned that installing FC packages on CentOS is *not* a good
idea. While it might work without issues in some cases, such practice is
inviting trouble.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Les Mikesell

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 December 2009 14:51:23 Matt wrote:
>> If memory serves me correctly I was told CentOS 4.x was based on
>> Fedora Core 3. So when finding a rpm I always looked for one for
>> Fedora Core 3 and then it seemed to install ok on CentOS 4. Is CentOS
>> 5 the same way and if so what Core is it based on?
>
> CentOS 5 is based on Fedora Core 6.
>
> That said, be warned that installing FC packages on CentOS is *not* a good
> idea. While it might work without issues in some cases, such practice is
> inviting trouble.

A slightly better approach is to grab the src rpm for fedora and
'rpmbuild --rebuild' it to get the binary versions to install. But most
things that will work are already built in the epel or rpmforge
repositories.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com