Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Ray Van Dolson

Default Inquiry:yum?

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:44:16AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I want to add "yum" to my CentOS 5.2 so I downloaded the rpm package from
> the www.pbone.net . But I didn't have success in installing it so please let
> me know if there is another way to accomplish this job ?
> Thank you in advance

Yum is installed by default in CentOS 5.x. Just run 'yum'.

Ray

Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 AM
hadi motamedi

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd@bludgeon.org> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:44:16AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I want to add "yum" to my CentOS 5.2 so I downloaded the rpm package from
> the www.pbone.net . But I didn't have success in installing it so please let

> me know if there is another way to accomplish this job ?
> Thank you in advance

Yum is installed by default in CentOS 5.x. *Just run 'yum'.

Ray

*
*
Thanks for your reply . But for unknown reasons the yum is not available on my CentOS .
[root@mss-1 tmp]# more /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
[root@mss-1 tmp]# yum
-bash: yum: command not found
Can you please let me know how can I install it ?

*

Old 12-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Ray Van Dolson

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:03:58PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd@bludgeon.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:44:16AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> > > Dear All
> > > I want to add "yum" to my CentOS 5.2 so I downloaded the rpm package from
> > > the www.pbone.net . But I didn't have success in installing it so please
> > let
> > > me know if there is another way to accomplish this job ?
> > > Thank you in advance
> >
> > Yum is installed by default in CentOS 5.x. Just run 'yum'.
> >

> Thanks for your reply . But for unknown reasons the yum is not available on
> my CentOS .
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# more /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# yum
> -bash: yum: command not found
> Can you please let me know how can I install it ?

Strange. What's the output of rpm -q yum?

You could manually install the RPM's from:

http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/centos/5/os/

Pick the correct architecture... and you'll have to resolve some
dependancies manually.

Ray

Old 12-23-2009, 11:12 AM
hadi motamedi

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd@bludgeon.org> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:03:58PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd@bludgeon.org> wrote:
>

> > *On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:44:16AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> > > Dear All
> > > I want to add "yum" to my CentOS 5.2 so I downloaded the rpm package from
> > > the www.pbone.net . But I didn't have success in installing it so please

> > let
> > > me know if there is another way to accomplish this job ?
> > > Thank you in advance
> >
> > Yum is installed by default in CentOS 5.x. *Just run 'yum'.

> Thanks for your reply . But for unknown reasons the yum is not available on
> my CentOS .
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# more /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# yum

> -bash: yum: command not found
> Can you please let me know how can I install it ?

Strange. *What's the output of rpm -q yum?

You could manually install the RPM's from:

*http://mirror.stanford.edu/yum/pub/centos/5/os/

Pick the correct architecture... and you'll have to resolve some
dependancies manually.

Ray

*
*
The output is as :
[root@mss-1 tmp]# rpm -qa |grep yum
yum-arch-2.2.2-2.el5.kb
*

Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:03 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply . But for unknown reasons the yum is not available on
> my CentOS .
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# more /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# yum
> -bash: yum: command not found
> Can you please let me know how can I install it ?

You might want to take a look at:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver

Akemi

Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:44:16AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I want to add "yum" to my CentOS 5.2 so I downloaded the rpm package from
> the www.pbone.net . But I didn't have success in installing it so please let
> me know if there is another way to accomplish this job ?

1) CentOS comes with yum, so it should be installed on your
system now. If you don't have it installed you are
running something that looks like CentOS but likely
isn't. If this is the case you should contact whomever
sold you that setup and get your money back.

2) Why in the world would you try to install from pbone
when you can get official CentOS packages from any
CentOS mirror?

John

--
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and
to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his

-- H. L. Mencken (1880-1956), writer, editor, and critic

Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:03:58PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

> Thanks for your reply . But for unknown reasons the yum is not available on
> my CentOS .
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# more /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

This is irrelevant. /etc/redhat-release is a text file and
can be edited to say anything.

rpm -q centos-release && uname -a will properly identify
the release you are using.

John
--
Only puny secrets need protection.
Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity.

-- Marshall McLuhan

Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 AM
hadi motamedi

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:03:58PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

> Thanks for your reply . But for unknown reasons the yum is not available on
> my CentOS .
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# more /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

* * * *This is irrelevant. */etc/redhat-release is a text file and

* * * *can be edited to say anything.

* * * *rpm -q centos-release && uname -a will properly identify
* * * *the release you are using.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *John

--
Only puny secrets need protection.
Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity.

-- Marshall McLuhan

*
*
Please find below :
[root@mss-1 tmp]# rpm -q centos-release
centos-release-5-2.el5.centos
*

Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:31:53PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

> Please find below :
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# rpm -q centos-release
> centos-release-5-2.el5.centos

And you conveniently left out the kernel revision that would
be returned by the second part of the command I gave you, namely
"uname -a".

It sounds very much like a broken server, either a crippled
OpenVZ or similar VPS or a server broken by someone that
didn't know what they were doing and went to some trouble
to remove the yum subsystem. Akemi pointed you to
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver and it
is worth your time to read it and see if you can unbreak
that box.

John

--
All I ask is this: Do something. Try something. Speaking out, showing up,
writing a letter, a check, a strongly worded e-mail. Pick a cause -- there

-- Joss Whedon (1964-), writer and film director

Old 12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
hadi motamedi

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:45 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:31:53PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

> Please find below :
> [root@mss-1 tmp]# rpm -q centos-release
> centos-release-5-2.el5.centos

* * * *And you conveniently left out the kernel revision that would

* * * *be returned by the second part of the command I gave you, namely
* * * *"uname -a".

* * * *It sounds very much like a broken server, either a crippled
* * * *OpenVZ or similar VPS or a server broken by someone that

* * * *didn't know what they were doing and went to some trouble
* * * *to remove the yum subsystem. *Akemi pointed you to
* * * *http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver and it

* * * *is worth your time to read it and see if you can unbreak
* * * *that box.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *John

--
All I ask is this: Do something. *Try something. *Speaking out, showing up,

writing a letter, a check, a strongly worded e-mail. *Pick a cause -- there
are few unworthy ones. *And nudge yourself past the brink of tacit support
to action. *Once a month, once a year, or just once.

-- Joss Whedon (1964-), writer and film director

*
*
Sorry . Here is the complementary data :
[root@mss-1 tmp]# uname -a
Linux mss-1.iwv 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 18:49:47 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
*