Old 12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Timo Schoeler

Default iptables ... *BSD pf ... pfSense

On 12/22/2009 07:22 PM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed the "Optimizing CentOS for gigabit firewall" posting and as
> some posters wrote pf is soo sooo ssooooo mutch faster, I was thinking
> to give it a try. But I'm not familier to BSD so I was looking for some
> tools and found "pfsense"
>
> http://www.pfsense.org/
>
> "pfSense is a free, open source customized distribution of FreeBSD
> tailored for use as a firewall and router"
>
> Has any of the firewall guys on the list ever tested this distri?
>
> What do you think?

pf is not a native FreeBSD thingie... you won't get the latest features,
tweaks, and optimizations there.

Timo

Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Jure Pečar

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:22:23 +0100
Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de> wrote:

> http://www.pfsense.org/
>
> What do you think?

Running in production since 0.9 or so. 1Gbit of traffic, carp failover, multiple vlans, all kinds of VPN, etc.

I have to think hard to come up with something that I don't like about pfsense ... lack of IPv6 support could be one such minus.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org