Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default NMS Opinions

>may be zennoss useful for you?

The Zenoss community looked a little slim/quit the last time I looked at it, I was
attracted to the ESX and wmi capabilities but it looked like it would be a steep
undertaking w/o the solid community.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Snmp is the best feature but it has an assortment of application tests and can work with nagios agents, WMI, and JMX, and parse syslog messages.

Yeah don’t get me wrong, snmp is a must (I don’t want agent software) but wmi etc is useful.
There is only so far you can get w/ snmp from an application level. I didn’t know it it did this,
I will surely have another look, thanks for the info!

The one thing I remember about it ages ago when I made the bad move and started w/ Nagios
was that the community was strong, a considerable merit for a complex beast like any nms...

jlc

Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Brendan Minish

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 02:36 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Any opinions appreciated!
> jlc

Take a look at zenoss too, I am in the process of deploying it as a
replacement for a rather elderly and under-resourced Nagios server
Liking it a lot so far
http://www.zenoss.com/
there's good help on IRC too
freenode #zenoss

regards
Brendan

Old 12-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Les Mikesell

Brendan Minish wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 02:36 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>> Any opinions appreciated!
>> jlc
>
> Take a look at zenoss too, I am in the process of deploying it as a
> replacement for a rather elderly and under-resourced Nagios server
> Liking it a lot so far
> http://www.zenoss.com/
> there's good help on IRC too
> freenode #zenoss

Does zenoss give you a reasonable way to export data to other tools for
reporting or longer term trend analysis? Cacti has a way to get the
individual data samples via http. Opennms has a way to get
min/max/average over a specified time range. Neither is exactly what
I'm looking for, but better than nothing.

An example of what I'd like to do is to find the peak total bandwidth
used (at the same time) across a group of interfaces, and be able to do
reports of that grouping over long time spans where individual
interfaces in the group will change. Or the same for other metrics like
CPU use. So far I haven't found any tools that deal with fail-over and
load-balance groupings in a reasonable way.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Guy Boisvert

Brendan Minish wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 02:36 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
> Take a look at zenoss too, I am in the process of deploying it as a
> replacement for a rather elderly and under-resourced Nagios server
> Liking it a lot so far
> http://www.zenoss.com/
> there's good help on IRC too
> freenode #zenoss
>
> regards
> Brendan

I don't know now but i couldn't define relations manually about 2 years
ago. It was a major PITA as if a router fails, you don't want to get
500 alarms for all the devices behind it.

It was supposed to auto discover and do relationship by itself but
wasn't able to do it properly with our network: Many VLANs and router /
firewall using trunking, etc.

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.