Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default NMS Opinions

A recent post that mentioned Zabbix inspired me to have a look at them again
while I was waiting on something as it’s been a while since I looked at them.

Currently, I was using Nagios but had to start using Munin to add some functionality
I needed and don’t want to continue down this road of supporting umpteen different
packages.

Between Zabbix, Pandora and HyperIQ, what would anyone familiar with these have to say.
HyperIQ looks rather crippled for the FOSS version, Pandora’s website seems to be down☺
Maybe they a monitoring solution, heh…

Any opinions appreciated!
jlc

Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Les Mikesell

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> A recent post that mentioned Zabbix inspired me to have a look at them again
> while I was waiting on something as it’s been a while since I looked at them.
>
> Currently, I was using Nagios but had to start using Munin to add some functionality
> I needed and don’t want to continue down this road of supporting umpteen different
> packages.
>
> Between Zabbix, Pandora and HyperIQ, what would anyone familiar with these have to say.
> HyperIQ looks rather crippled for the FOSS version, Pandora’s website seems to be down☺
> Maybe they a monitoring solution, heh…
>
> Any opinions appreciated!

Have you also looked at OpenNMS? It is fairly easy to install on Centos with
their yum repository.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Have you also looked at OpenNMS? It is fairly easy to install on Centos with
>their yum repository.

CMIW, isn’t OpenNMS only snmp based?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 AM
Ray Van Dolson

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 03:24:28AM +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Have you also looked at OpenNMS? It is fairly easy to install on Centos with
> >their yum repository.
>
> CMIW, isn’t OpenNMS only snmp based?

You _want_ agents?!

Yeah, OpenNMS is agent-less (last I knew anyways).

Ray

Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Les Mikesell

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Have you also looked at OpenNMS? It is fairly easy to install on Centos with
>> their yum repository.
>
> CMIW, isn’t OpenNMS only snmp based?

Snmp is the best feature but it has an assortment of application tests and can
work with nagios agents, WMI, and JMX, and parse syslog messages.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2009, 03:35 AM