-   -   SFTP - stalled - on large files (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/299002-sftp-stalled-large-files.html)

唐建伟 12-22-2009 12:06 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

I met the same as you, but always due to the bad network connection.

On 12/21/09, Sean Carolan <scarolan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an SSH server that was set up for a client, and every time we
> try to upload large files via SFTP or scp, the transfers speed quickly
> slows to zero and gives a - stalled - status message, then
> disconnects. Here is an example:
>
> ftp> put iTunesSetup.exe iTunesSetup.exe
> Uploading iTunesSetup.exe to /home/scarolan/iTunesSetup.exe
> iTunesSetup.exe 0% 704KB 0.0KB/s -
> stalled -debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
> Read from remote host ftp.authoria.net: Connection reset by peer
> debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 66 bytes in 203.9 seconds
> debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 0.3
> debug1: Exit status -1
> Connection closed
>
> I have no idea why this is happening. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?

Tang Jianwei
System Administrator

Sean Carolan 12-22-2009 12:12 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM, 唐建伟 <myhnet@gmail.com> wrote:

*I met the same as you, but always due to the bad network connection.

I should probably provide some more information, the server is a VMware guest running CentOS 5.3.* It's using the vmxnet driver for the eth0 connection.* IPv6 is disabled.*

Les Mikesell 12-22-2009 01:23 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

Sean Carolan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM, 唐建伟 <myhnet@gmail.com
> <mailto:myhnet@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I met the same as you, but always due to the bad network connection.
>

> I should probably provide some more information, the server is a VMware
> guest running CentOS 5.3. It's using the vmxnet driver for the eth0
> connection. IPv6 is disabled.

I'm not sure what would cause that, but I'd use rsync over ssh instead of sftp
anyway - and use the -P option to permit restarting.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Sean Carolan 12-22-2009 08:08 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

> I'm not sure what would cause that, but I'd use rsync over ssh instead of sftp
> anyway - and use the -P option to permit restarting.

If it were up to me, we'd take that route. The software the client is
using is WinSCP which does have a restart feature, however it's not
working for us. I'm wondering if this is somehow caused by the vmware
network driver?

Kai Schaetzl 12-22-2009 09:31 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

Sean Carolan wrote on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 03:08:53 -0600:

> The software the client is
> using is WinSCP which does have a restart feature, however it's not
> working for us.

Tell him to switch WinSCP to SCP mode.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

Sean Carolan 12-22-2009 10:12 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

> Tell him to switch WinSCP to SCP mode.
>
> Kai

Tried that, it still fails the same way. Here's the short list of
what I've tried to troubleshoot this:

Used SCP via the gui and command line
Used SFTP via the gui and command line
Ran yum update to bring all packages up to date
Tried stock CentOS sshd daemon (version 4.3), as well as sshd built
from source (version 5.3)
Adjusted MTU settings
Reinstalled virtual network card
Updated vmware tools and network card driver
Tried vmxnet as well as e1000 drivers

At this point I don't know what else to try. I'm thinking that it's
either a problem with VMWare, or perhaps our load balancer that is
routing the packets back and forth. Hopefully one of the vendors will
be able to help solve the problem. In the meantime we are building
out a physical server to test whether vmware is the issue or not.

If anyone else has seen this problem before or has suggestions please
post them here. Thanks.

"JS" 12-22-2009 10:31 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

---

Just an idea or thought on it. You never said what the file size was or did
you? My idea is that is, there not a file size limitation on transfer to
and from the server? I thought there was? Check you vsftpd.conf out or
what ever ftp server your running for the size limitation. Maybe some help
or maybe not?

John

Kai Schaetzl 12-22-2009 11:31 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

Sean Carolan wrote on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 05:12:52 -0600:

> Here's the short list of
> what I've tried to troubleshoot this:

which means it doesn't only fail for your client from outside but also for
you from within your network?

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

mark 12-22-2009 11:55 AM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

Sean Carolan wrote:
<snip>
> At this point I don't know what else to try. I'm thinking that it's
> either a problem with VMWare, or perhaps our load balancer that is
> routing the packets back and forth. Hopefully one of the vendors will

Load balancer... is that set up to maintain connections, or will it, like IBM's
WebSeal, go to whichever server is next/least used in the middle of a connection?

mark
--
'A fan must not waste a pint of beer,
nor through inaction allow beer to go to waste,

Sean Carolan 12-22-2009 12:03 PM

SFTP - stalled - on large files

> Just an idea or thought on it. *You never said what the file size was or did
> you? *My idea is that is, there not a file size limitation on transfer to
> and from the server? *I thought there was? *Check you vsftpd.conf out or
> what ever ftp server your running for the size limitation. *Maybe some help
> or maybe not?

The problem is with SFTP, so I'm afraid that vsftpd.conf isn't the culprit here.