Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

Default xm mem-set on an F11 xen guest

I just tried to change the memory for my F11 xen guest from 512 to 1024.
After executing:

xm mem-set workstation 1024

xm list shows the memory still being 512. Anyone else see this behavior
before? I tried other values as well - but the memory is still what it
was when I created the VM...

I'm running CentOS 5.4 on an i386...

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 PM
"Mathew S. McCarrell"

I just tried to change the memory for my F11 xen guest from 512 to 1024.

After executing:

xm mem-set workstation 1024

xm list shows the memory still being 512. *Anyone else see this behavior

before? *I tried other values as well - but the memory is still what it

was when I created the VM...

I'm running CentOS 5.4 on an i386...

*You might have to use xm mem-max to set the maximum memory for the guest prior to using xm mem-set.* Also, if you look at the man page for xm, you will see the following for mem-set:

"Because this operation requires cooperation from the domain operating system, there is no guarantee that it will succeed.* This command will definitely not work unless the domain has the required paravirt driver."

So, there is no guarantee that you can increase/decrease the ram of a guest without restarting it.

Matt

--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10

mccarrms@gmail.com

mccarrms@clarkson.edu
1-518-314-9214

Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 AM
"Scot P. Floess"

Hey thanks...

Yeah I saw that regarding no guarantee... Was hoping maybe it would work

*
[...]

CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org