Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 PM
mcclnx mcc

Default scp copy remote files does NOT copy link?

We have CENTOS 5.3 on DELL servers. I tried to us following command to copy remote files system to local:

scp -rp oracle@ORA2:/home/app/oracle/10.2 .

After SCP finish copy, I found some files on source file system using "link" but on target file systems it change to "physical file".

Does there has way scp not change "link" setup?

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Benjamin Franz

mcclnx mcc wrote:
> We have CENTOS 5.3 on DELL servers. I tried to us following command to copy remote files system to local:
>
> scp -rp oracle@ORA2:/home/app/oracle/10.2 .
>
> After SCP finish copy, I found some files on source file system using "link" but on target file systems it change to "physical file".
>
> Does there has way scp not change "link" setup?

If you want to preserve symlinks you probably want to use rsync instead
of scp.

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Les Mikesell

mcclnx mcc wrote:
> We have CENTOS 5.3 on DELL servers. I tried to us following command to copy remote files system to local:
>
> scp -rp oracle@ORA2:/home/app/oracle/10.2 .
>
> After SCP finish copy, I found some files on source file system using "link" but on target file systems it change to "physical file".
>
> Does there has way scp not change "link" setup?

I've always preferred 'rsync -essh -aHv source hostath' over scp for
remote copies. It will generally get everything right and in the case
where part of the content is already there it is much more efficient.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-21-2009, 05:53 PM
"nate"

mcclnx mcc wrote:

> Does there has way scp not change "link" setup?

use rsync, not scp

nate

Old 12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

> mcclnx mcc wrote:
> > We have CENTOS 5.3 on DELL servers. I tried to us following command to copy remote files system to local:
> >
> > scp -rp oracle@ORA2:/home/app/oracle/10.2 .
> >
> > After SCP finish copy, I found some files on source file system using "link" but on target file systems it change to "physical file".
> >
> > Does there has way scp not change "link" setup?
>
> I've always preferred 'rsync -essh -aHv source hostath' over scp for
> remote copies. It will generally get everything right and in the case
> where part of the content is already there it is much more efficient.

I know I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer to this one but I've
checked a couple rsync and ssh references, including man rsync, and do
not find an option -H. What is it?

Cheers!

CentOS 5.4, Linux 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5 x86_64 14:18:18 up 2 days, 20:25, 1
user, load average: 0.24, 0.14, 0.19

Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
"nate"

b.j. mcclure wrote:

> I know I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer to this one but I've
> checked a couple rsync and ssh references, including man rsync, and do
> not find an option -H. What is it?

Looks like

-H, --hard-links preserve hard links

In my experience hard links aren't very common, symlinks on the other
hand are very common, and probably the type of link you were
encountering.

nate

Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Tom H

Old 12-21-2009, 06:30 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 11:25 -0800, nate wrote:
> b.j. mcclure wrote:
>
> > I know I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer to this one but I've
> > checked a couple rsync and ssh references, including man rsync, and do
> > not find an option -H. What is it?
>
> Looks like
>
> -H, --hard-links preserve hard links
>
> In my experience hard links aren't very common, symlinks on the other
> hand are very common, and probably the type of link you were
> encountering.
>
> nate

Darn. I knew it was dumb. ;-/

Old 12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Monday 21 December 2009, b.j. mcclure wrote:
> I know I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer to this one but I've
> checked a couple rsync and ssh references, including man rsync, and do
> not find an option -H. What is it?

$ man rsync | grep "-H"
-a, --archive archive mode; same as -rlptgoD (no -H)
-H, --hard-links preserve hard links
want recursion and want to preserve almost everything (with -H
ply-linked files is expensive. You must separately specify -H.
-H, --hard-links

Cheers,
Peter

Old 12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Les Mikesell

Tom H wrote:

>>> I've always preferred 'rsync -essh -aHv source hostath' over scp for
>>> remote copies. It will generally get everything right and in the case
>>> where part of the content is already there it is much more efficient.
>
>> I know I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer to this one but I've
>> checked a couple rsync and ssh references, including man rsync, and do
>> not find an option -H. What is it?
>
> -H, --hard-links preserve hard links

Most of the other options to create as exact a duplicate as possible are
bundled into the '-a' option. However, since there is no efficient way
to handle hardlink matching and recreation (it needs a brute-force inode
table lookup), it is left separate.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com