Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Jake

Default Monitoring Dynamic IPs using Some network monitoring tool

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings,

I have one centos server for network monitoring.

there are remote devices which are connected through ADSL lines and

hence Dynamic IPs

Q1. Is there any tool which is capable of handling this type of situation?

Q2. Is there a workaround for this problem

I think it really depends on the type of monitoring you'd like to do and the type of tool you're trying to use now. For example, we use Nagios to monitor our systems. With Nagios, you could use passive checks. This is where the programs that monitor your server run locally on the server and submit results to the central monitoring server. The central Nagios server can alert based on the results it receives or based on the fact that it hasn't received results for a period of time.

--*Jake Paulus
JakePaulus@gmail.com

Old 12-21-2009, 02:18 PM
"Gabriel Rosca"

I personal use zabbix ... On all the servers ( Windows, Linux ) with dynamic
IP I use dyndns ...

Gabe

www.techshrinks.com

Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Thanks for the reply

2009/12/21 Juan Carlos Díaz Fernández <juan.carlos.diaz@ign-solutions.com>:
> Or maybe implementing dyndns if you can

This sounds very interesting and it seems GNUDIP is one such. but it
seems too dated.

it is possible for me to run a dyndns service on a static IP. but can
you provide a bit more of gory details about where is it available for
centos, and the such.

Yes I am using our friend goole while I am typing this for finding some answer

Alternatively, it there a possibility of installing some agent and
getting the MAC address of one of the server behind the router. First
a diagram

central location (main monitoring -- Centos box0+monitoring server)

(Internet)

+--link1adsl-- Remote1 (dynamic IP)

+--link2adsl-- Remote2 (dynamic IP)

(and so on...)

In each remote I have a centos box behind the router serving a bunch
of desktops.

Is there a possibility that I can install an agent which will contact
the central montoring server? (No $$$ here please, as free as in free
beer/bread applies in addition to freedom)

BTW it seems there are two type of monitoring tools:
Type-1. uses snmp only
Type-2. user agents

Is it possible to monitor a link based on the MAC of the centos server
sitting behind?

Zabbix seems to be priced

Honestly I am absolutely confused as to which I should choose as it
will be maintained by people who may not know what command line is
(Sorry!!)

Apologies for too many questions.

I think somebody mentioned NMS to be complex beasts .. I being a
vegetarian am finding it all the more daunting

Thanks in advance

Rajagopal

Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Jake <jakepaulus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it really depends on the type of monitoring you'd like to do and the
> type of tool you're trying to use now. For example, we use Nagios to monitor
> our systems. With Nagios, you could use passive checks. This is where the
> programs that monitor your server run locally on the server and submit
> results to the central monitoring server. The central Nagios server can
> alert based on the results it receives or based on the fact that it hasn't
> received results for a period of time.
> --

Thanks, This is one path I intend to investigate further..

Regards

Rajagopal

Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

> Perhaps ntop?

Gosh! answer for a person handling hundreds of servers and PB of
data!!! I am blessed indeed.

Yes I am right now trying to get my claws into it just few minutes
back I yum-med it in to my system. saw some graphs...

The key issue here is dynamic IP addresses

Initial requirements are just to show whether the ADSL is up and the
avereage transfer /hour /day etc. and some minor details inside.

Thanks and regards

Rajagopal

Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

> 2009/12/22 Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand@gmail.com>

again,

>> Thanks for the reply
>>

> In the past I had a dyndns mounted using bind + dhcpd. You can see an
> example here:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora_dynamic_dns

The dhcp server is not under my control, far from it is from different ISPs

> Also, you can use an external dyndns service like dyndns.org and ddclient to
> update info.

Is is possibile to run on'e own dyndns service?

BTW does GNUDIP does the same? assuming it is hosted on a public IP
and all the remote location point to this IP as DNS server?

Please pardon my ignorance... I know about OS, HA and the bits, but
well this networking beast... I need some more handholding perhaps

Thanks again for prompt reply

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Gabriel Rosca <missnebun@gmail.com> wrote:
> I personal use zabbix ... On all the servers ( Windows, Linux ) with dynamic
> IP I use dyndns ...

I just tried to configure, make install zabbix server and agent on a centos box

But I seem to miss the front end URL mentioned anywhere

There are no directory entries under /var/www/html for zabbix...

The index.php seems to by under frontend/ph in the unzipped directory...

no go yet...

any help appreciated

Regards

Rajagopal

Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>>
> Why not run Openvpn on the remote and central centos boxes to create a big
> private network, using unique IP ranges for each remote? *This can be used for
> other management purposes or could be firewalled to just permit snmp. *For what
> you describe, all you need is a route to the routers, and this would give you a
> route to the 'inside' interface. *If you want to allow it, it will also allow
> remote access to everything behind the router.

Well taken

> Your router is probably only going to have snmp, and accessing it from the
> inside interface will work to report the interface usage of all interfaces.

Well taken

> Probably not, but you can vpn-tunnel through it, and openvpn will work fine
> through NAT and with one end having a dynamic address.

Well taken and am working towards that (With you know what ... see below)

> I'm partial to opennms - and have used it in somewhat similar circumstances
> (generally static IP's, but using a central monitor from the private side
> through tunnels). The one thing you need for this to work is unique IP addresses
> throughout, though. *Most monitor tools will be tied to IP addressing and will
> be confused if each location NATs to the same range.

Apologies. But Zabbix is settled for time being as it eventually be a
government property and they have more or less standardised on LAMP.
And Zabix seems to be a very promising tool.

But Zabbix 1.8 does not seem to do a simple ping test on an IP. Maybe
I am facing the wrong end of it....

Anybody with experience on Zabbix???

Thanks again and Regards with best of season's greetings,

Rajagopal