Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Mathieu Baudier

Default Supsend/hibernate on Samsung NC10

Hi,

I cannot have suspend and hibernate working on a Samsung NC10
(netbook) running CentOS 5.4 i386.

When I try suspending/hibernating the screen becomes black (with a few
logs, like "shrinking memory" for hibernate) and then the computer
hangs and I have to force a shutdown with the power button.

This wiki page seems to say that it should work out of the box:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Samsung/NC10

I tried to add the kernel arguments described here, to no avail:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-June/040633.html

Anyhow the problems doesn't seem to be the resume but rather getting
into the suspended/hibernated state.

When I log after a failed attempt, GNOME shows a popup saying that
apparently we failed to recover from a suspend/hibernate state and
that this may be a driver problem.

A few more information about my settings which may be useful:
- the root filesystem is installed on an LVM
- I use the NetworkManager and not the network service
- I disabled bluetooth (in order to remove all unused devices that may
impact this problem)
- [mbaudier@localhost ~]$ lshal | grep suspen
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.m ethod_execpaths =
{'hal-system-power-suspend', 'hal-system-power-suspend-clear-error',
'hal-system-power-hibernate',
'hal-system-power-hibernate-clear-error', 'hal-system-power-shutdown',
'hal-system-power-reboot', 'hal-system-power-set-power-save'} (string
list)
power_management.can_suspend_to_disk = true (bool)
power_management.can_suspend_to_ram = true (bool)
power_management.can_suspend = true (bool)

Thanks in advance if somebody can tell me how I can analyse further /
solve this.

Cheers,

Mathieu

Old 12-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Tru Huynh

[tru@snoopy ~]$ lshal | grep suspen
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.m ethod_execpaths = {'hal-system-power-suspend', 'hal-system-power-suspend-clear-error', 'hal-system-power-hibernate', 'hal-system-power-hibernate-clear-error', 'hal-system-power-shutdown', 'hal-system-power-reboot', 'hal-system-power-set-power-save'} (string list)
power_management.can_suspend_to_disk = true (bool)
power_management.can_suspend_to_ram = true (bool)
power_management.can_suspend = true (bool)

I am using my own sky2 ethernet driver(since 5.3)/ath_pci wifi driver:
[tru@snoopy ~]$ modinfo sky2
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.9.1.el5/weak-updates/sky2/sky2.ko
version: 1.18
license: GPL
author: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@linux-foundation.org>
srcversion: 4D063BC8FAD26BE4B493E77
[tru@snoopy ~]$ modinfo ath_pci
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.9.1.el5/net/ath_pci.ko
license: Dual BSD/GPL
version: svn r3879
author: Errno Consulting, Sam Leffler
srcversion: 53828DCE2B2CEC52C9E9103
Which requires a small hack in the pm config file:
[tru@snoopy ~]$ cat /etc/pm/config.d/ath_pci
SUSPEND_MODULES=ath_pci
RESUME_MODULES=ath_pci

Maybe you need to add the sky2 driver to the list.

I haven't tried the newer sky2 driver from the 5.4 kernel serie, ymmv.

Cheers,

Tru