Old 12-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Bob McConnell

Default Removable drive configuration

I have a box running CentOS 5.3 with two Dataport removable drive bays
installed on the second IDE interface (/dev/hdc and hdd). I want to
configure it so I can plug in and mount various drives at different
times, including different size drives. So far it will only recognize
the first drive I plug in, and only if I boot the box after inserting
the drive.

Is there any way to set it up so I can mount different size drives
freely without having to reboot each time?

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Robert Heller

> I have a box running CentOS 5.3 with two Dataport removable drive bays
> installed on the second IDE interface (/dev/hdc and hdd). I want to
> configure it so I can plug in and mount various drives at different
> times, including different size drives. So far it will only recognize
> the first drive I plug in, and only if I boot the box after inserting
> the drive.
>
> Is there any way to set it up so I can mount different size drives
> freely without having to reboot each time?

PATA (IDE) drives are not hot-swapable -- I don't think either the
kernel IDE driver or many (if any) plain IDE controllers support hot
swapping (probably some IDE *hardware RAID* controllers *might* support
hot swapping). Most newer SATA controllers, and *some* SCSI
controllers support hot swapping. You are probably better off getting
USB<=>IDE external enclosures if you want 'hot swapable'
functionallity, otherwise you will need to reboot to see the change in
IDE drives. USB drives are implicitly hot swappable.

Also: to get the second drive to be seen, it would have to be
configured as a slave -- you'll have to set the slave jumper on the
drive itself -- I think that the IDE 'removable' drive carriers don't
jumper the master/slave -- actually they can't, since the IDE interface
does not support drive ID. SCSI hot swap is handled by the SCA (80
pin, which include power and id) and SATA is one drive one controller
port -- logically one drive one logical controller, with no drive IDs at
all. (SATA is designed from the ground up to be hot swapable.)

> Thank you,
>
> Bob McConnell
> N2SPP

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 12-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Stephen Harris

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 09:27:09AM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> PATA (IDE) drives are not hot-swapable -- I don't think either the
> kernel IDE driver or many (if any) plain IDE controllers support hot

Annoyingly old kernels used to (2.2? 2.4? Can't remember). You could do
"hdparm -b 0 /dev/hdg" (for example) to remove the bus from the kernel
then you could swap the disk, then "hdparm -b 1 /dev/hdg" to reinsert
it; this caused the kernel to rescan the bus and find the new disk and
partitions. I used to do this all the time using a cheap hotswap bay.
(Caveat: disk needed to be inserted at boot time to cause /dev/hd? to
exist).

The PATA drivers got rewritten at some point which caused this
functionality to get lost. Now I'm doing this with a USB enclosure
instead, so I've not checked recently to see if it ever got re-added.

--

rgds
Stephen