Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Les Mikesell

Default storage servers crashing, hair being pulled out!

Gordon McLellan wrote:
> I have a trio of servers that like to reboot during high disk /
> network IO operations. They don't appear to panic, as I have
> kernel.panic = 0 in sysctl.conf. The syslog just shows normal
> messages, like samba complaining about browse master and then just
> syslogd starting up.

Did this just start happening after the last update, or have they never been
reliable? I have one box that just started crashing after the last kernel
update but it may just be from old age instead. If they have never been
reliable I'd suspect bad RAM first. I've seen cases where you had to run the
memory test a few days to catch it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Matty

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Gordon McLellan <gordonthree@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a trio of servers that like to reboot during high disk /
> network IO operations. *They don't appear to panic, as I have
> kernel.panic = 0 in sysctl.conf. *The syslog just shows normal
> messages, like samba complaining about browse master and then just
> syslogd starting up.

If the box is panicing under high load, you should definitely check
the memory / CPU / power supplies. You may also find it beneficial to
enable kdump, netdump and sysrq. If the box hangs, you can issue a
sysrq magic key sequence to force the box to panic. During the panic
process, you should get a core file that you can analyze to see what
is going on (crash has some useful options to dump thread stacks,
which you can use to search the LKML archives).

- Ryan
--
http://prefetch.net