Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Matias Morawicki

Default Cannot see samba in win Neighborhood

Hello u all, sorry to bring this issue back again, but Ive been

searching and trying all the advices suggested in previous posts and I

still cant see the samba server in the win network neighborhood.

I can see the samba shares from win via net view servername

but if I issue a plain "net view" samba wont show up. only the win

machines, the same i can see on the Neighborhood...

and when I select local master = no *Samba would stay without master!

I issue smbclient -L servername -U% and the master section remains empty.

Its like samba is not being able to "talk" to the rest of the

workgroup. (of course they are all in the same workgroup)

Im using "wins support = yes" and Ive set the DHCP to set the
clients to use the samba server as wins server.Ive checked the win
clients and they get the correct conf.

Ive tried stopping iptables, disabling Selinux, different smb.conf from the simple

examples of t first chapters of samba by example, *to plenty of

options... thats why Im not including my smb.conf, because Ive

tried many variations, always with the same results.
I tried a
basic samba configuration in a ubuntu server in another box just to
test, anf the win clients were able to see it in the neigbohood... so I guess the
issue is on my Centos box. I tried the same smb.conf from that
working ubuntu-samba and didnt make it on the Centos...

Btw, the server is a Centos 5.3, with samba 3.2.15 (it also happened

with the default samba, so Ive upgraded just in case...)

I hope someone can point me some directions...

thanks in advance!!

Matias

Old 12-20-2009, 03:08 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Its like samba is not being able to "talk" to the rest of the
>workgroup. (of course they are all in the same workgroup)
>
>Im using "wins support = yes" and Ive set the DHCP to set the clients to use the samba server as wins server.Ive checked the win clients and they get the correct conf.

Unless you have pre w2k clients, disable Wins, Win2k uses DNS or Netbios res.
What you are experiencing is a lag in the population of the master browser, you
need patience. You could setup up dyn dns for the Samba server and win clients
as well...

You set local master = no, so what / who is the master browser? Do you have any
win servers?

Setup Sambas as per the example, then go away and grab a coffee... It takes ~15 mins...

Old 12-21-2009, 03:37 PM
"JS"

----

Set Samba as the master Browser. You may have to bump the number up for it.
Then service smb reload. Then restart the Windows clients (lots faster).
All you really need to access the server is server_namemachine_share
then map the Network Drive to it. I have seen some win clients that just
would not enumerate shares though.

John