Old 12-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Mathieu Baudier

Default Donation programme

Really funny, I was just thinking of this this morning as well!
(Christmas spirit I guess, or the gratefulness for latest bunch of 5.4
updates...)

I support the question and add:
It there a way to get receipts, etc. in order to book such a donation
as a company charge/expense?
Is the target organization by chance somehow registered in the European Union?

Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 12/19/2009 02:02 AM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Is there any decision about the donation programme?
>
> The Web page still says: "If you are looking to make a cash dontation to
> the CentOS Project, please check back here after August 15th, 2009."
>
> I assume that donations aren't refused, but is there a suggested amount,
> as there used to be?

The simple answer to that is that we are not ( the CentOS Project ) in a
place where we can take on financial donations. Which essentially boils
down to the fact that if you were to contribute some money as a
financial donation, it would not get used for anything constructive and
will not goto the project, it would goto one person - who may or may not
even be doing any regular work in the project.

so your assumption on this is actually wrong: financial donations are
actively refused at this time. If either you or anyone else are
contributing funds using any means, you should stop doing that.

Regards,

- KB

Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM
MHR

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> The simple answer to that is that we are not ( the CentOS Project ) in a
> place where we can take on financial donations. Which essentially boils
> down to the fact that if you were to contribute some money as a
> financial donation, it would not get used for anything constructive *and
> will not goto the project, it would goto one person - who may or may not
> even be doing any regular work in the project.
>
> so your assumption on this is actually wrong: financial donations are
> actively refused at this time. If either you or anyone else are
> contributing funds using any means, you should stop doing that.

This is sad - you guys do incredible work for nothing, other than the
satisfaction you must get and all the accolades we can heap on you,
and there's no way we, your community, can contribute.

Is there anything we, or I, can do to help out with this? I feel like
a leech and I hate to feel that way.

I am not currently associated with the CentOS project in any way,
shape or form, but would love to help out, especially if it means
getting funding to the project. It's just wrong that there isn't any.

Mark Hull-Richter
Expert CentOS/Linux/C Software Developer
Registered Linux User #472807
- sign up at http://counter.li.org/

Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Saturday 19 December 2009 06:57, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> The simple answer to that is that we are not ( the CentOS Project )
> in a place where we can take on financial donations. Which
> essentially boils down to the fact that if you were to contribute
> some money as a financial donation, it would not get used for
> anything constructive and will not goto the project, it would goto
> one person - who may or may not even be doing any regular work in the
> project.

Don't you even have out-of-pocket expenses that could be repaid?

In any case, I would suggest that you change the statement about the
donation programme on the Web page.