Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/297642-college-student-printer-centos-5-4-x86_64-a.html)

12-19-2009 03:09 AM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
> papers. On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
> satisfy the requirement.

I wouldn't buy a color printer at all.
I assume, every decent college has some sort of print-shop on the campus
where you can make high-quality color printouts for pennies.
For black&white, I'd buy a decent laser printer.
Personally, I don't own a printer anymore since finishing university - I
print everything (usually a couple of pages per month) at work.
If I'd have to buy one now, I'd look for an appropriate Brother model.
They seem to have decent support for Linux.


cheers,
Rainer

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

John R Pierce 12-19-2009 03:49 AM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:
> If I'd have to buy one now, I'd look for an appropriate Brother model.
> They seem to have decent support for Linux.
>


indeed, Brother B&W laser printers have some of the best price oer page
printed too. they work fine with aftermarket toner and drums (mine uses
a $30 toner ever ~2000 pages, and a $60 drum kit every 7000-8000 pages.

I'm also a fan of ethernet printers, but I can see how that might not
work well in a dorm as they arent allowed to use hubs or switches, just
direct connect registered computers to the building network.

I will also say, don't get the really cheapest of the cheap printers,
they ere just too cheaply built, and will have more problems with paper
jams, and likely fail sooner. price toner supplies and figure the per
page cost amortized over 30,000 pages or whatever. a reasonable
printer is like $100 or $150.



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Louis Lagendijk 12-19-2009 08:52 AM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 20:20 -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
> Oldest son came back from college and wants a printer for his Dell
> laptop. I built it with CentOS 5.3 x86_64 several months ago and will
> upgrade it to 5.4
>
> The Cannon printer he now has (bought with the laptop and Vista through
> the university book store), doesn't seem to have linux drivers.

what model printer is this? Did you check http://www.linuxprinting.org?
You may also want to take a look at turboprint www.turboprint.info , it
is commercial, but offer good quality drivers for a lot of printers. It
will still be cheaper than to buy a new printer....

Louis

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Robert Heller 12-19-2009 11:31 AM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
At Sat, 19 Dec 2009 05:09:03 +0100 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
>
> > What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
> > papers. On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
> > photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
> > satisfy the requirement.
>
> I wouldn't buy a color printer at all.
> I assume, every decent college has some sort of print-shop on the campus
> where you can make high-quality color printouts for pennies.
> For black&white, I'd buy a decent laser printer.
> Personally, I don't own a printer anymore since finishing university - I
> print everything (usually a couple of pages per month) at work.
> If I'd have to buy one now, I'd look for an appropriate Brother model.
> They seem to have decent support for Linux.

Right. *Laser* printers are way *cheaper* than inkjets. (Really!) A
printer that speak PostScript is instantly plug-and-play for a Linux
system (any distro, any version).


>
>
> cheers,
> Rainer
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Phil Savoie 12-19-2009 11:48 AM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
David McGuffey wrote:
> Oldest son came back from college and wants a printer for his Dell
> laptop. I built it with CentOS 5.3 x86_64 several months ago and will
> upgrade it to 5.4
>
> The Cannon printer he now has (bought with the laptop and Vista through
> the university book store), doesn't seem to have linux drivers. I built
> the machine with Vista and CentOS in dual-boot, so he could manage his
> iTunes and use the printer under Vista. He does almost all his college
> work under CentOS. Most of his papers are submitted electronically, but
> occasionally he has to print one.
>
> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
> papers. On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
> satisfy the requirement.
>
> DaveM
>

Hi Dave,

I have 2 lasers one BW and the other colour. The BW printer is a
Brother 5250DN (N for network) and a samsung CLP-310 also network
capable. The samsung comes with linux drivers on a CD. Both are ery
affordable and work well with linux.

Phil

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Bob McConnell 12-19-2009 01:22 PM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
Phil Savoie wrote:
> David McGuffey wrote:
>> Oldest son came back from college and wants a printer for his Dell
>> laptop. I built it with CentOS 5.3 x86_64 several months ago and will
>> upgrade it to 5.4
>>
>> The Cannon printer he now has (bought with the laptop and Vista through
>> the university book store), doesn't seem to have linux drivers. I built
>> the machine with Vista and CentOS in dual-boot, so he could manage his
>> iTunes and use the printer under Vista. He does almost all his college
>> work under CentOS. Most of his papers are submitted electronically, but
>> occasionally he has to print one.
>>
>> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
>> papers. On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
>> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
>> satisfy the requirement.
>>
>> DaveM
>>
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I have 2 lasers one BW and the other colour. The BW printer is a
> Brother 5250DN (N for network) and a samsung CLP-310 also network
> capable. The samsung comes with linux drivers on a CD. Both are ery
> affordable and work well with linux.

HP has several consumer level laser printers available, most of them
with Postscript built in. I have a CP1518ni which I got at Sam's Club
for US$289. No problems using it from Ubuntu, Slackware, Fedora or
CentOS. Even with the 1/3 capacity toner cartridges it came with, it
cost less than just the ink jet cartridges would have before we had to
buy another set.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

MHR 12-19-2009 02:28 PM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:
> David McGuffey wrote:
>>
>> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
>> papers. *On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
>> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
>> satisfy the requirement.
>>
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I have 2 lasers one BW and the other colour. *The BW printer is a
> Brother 5250DN *(N for network) and a samsung CLP-310 also network
> capable. *The samsung comes with linux drivers on a CD. *Both are ery
> affordable and work well with linux.
>

I use a Brother HL2140 - it runs between $40 and $120, depending on
where you get it, and the toner cartridges are around $35 or less
each. It works just fine with CentOS (I'd bet any Brother printer
does) under CUPS, but you might have to do a little google searching
to find the right driver. It's a USB-only printer, which has its
advantages and disadvantages.

Caveat: the toner cartridge is only good for about 3000 copies, and
it's kind of small, unlike a lot of others. However, the whole
printer is simplicity itself, the toner and drum cartridges are
trivial to replace, and it has a per-sheet feeder for special paper
needs.

I strongly recommend doing a lot of searching for each purchase of
toner and drum cartridges because they vary widely in price, though
not a whole lot in quality, and they are constantly changing (applies
to all printer supplies).

I used to have a Minolta laser printer that was a fair bit more
expensive on the toner and drums, but they also lasted a lot longer
(6000 sheets per toner, 20,000+ per drum). One day, I couldn't get it
to stop printing gray all over every page, so I found the Brother.

I would avoid Samsung printers (now) because most of the people I've
heard from about them indicate that the inexpensive ones are
inexpensive for a reason (i.e., cheap crap), unlike Brother. Any HP
would be fine - they have great Linux support. I would also avoid
Canon (inkjets) like the plague - the color is great, but they break
down frequently, if you can find a Linux driver for them. My wife has
a Canon on her Windows PC, and it is the fifth or sixth of a series of
"free" printers we got over a period of a few years, all due to
warranty replacements (the others all failed), plus their newer
printers have custom ink cartridges that are expensive and getting
smaller. Don't know about Canon lasers, although Canon has been
extremely Linux-unfriendly with their printers (love their cameras).

I would also avoid anything by Lexmark - I've never had any good
results with them, and I've never heard of any, either. Don't even
know if you can use them with Linux....

I'd stick with Brother or HP.

Okay, that's a lot, probably too much.

Good luck!

mhr
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

fred smith 12-19-2009 03:37 PM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 07:28:24AM -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:
> > David McGuffey wrote:
> >>
> >> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
> >> papers. *On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
> >> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
> >> satisfy the requirement.
> >>
> >
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I have 2 lasers one BW and the other colour. *The BW printer is a
> > Brother 5250DN *(N for network) and a samsung CLP-310 also network
> > capable. *The samsung comes with linux drivers on a CD. *Both are ery
> > affordable and work well with linux.
> >
>
> I use a Brother HL2140 - it runs between $40 and $120, depending on
> where you get it, and the toner cartridges are around $35 or less
> each. It works just fine with CentOS (I'd bet any Brother printer
> does) under CUPS, but you might have to do a little google searching
> to find the right driver. It's a USB-only printer, which has its
> advantages and disadvantages.
>
> Caveat: the toner cartridge is only good for about 3000 copies, and
> it's kind of small, unlike a lot of others. However, the whole
> printer is simplicity itself, the toner and drum cartridges are
> trivial to replace, and it has a per-sheet feeder for special paper
> needs.

One more data point: My Brother HL2070N works great on linux. no hassles,
no searching to find drivers. Brother HL2060 driver works like a charm.
but it's a discontinued model. now ther eis HL2170<something> which seems
to be similar and I'd guess it also works fine, but I don't know that.

> I would avoid Samsung printers (now) because most of the people I've
> heard from about them indicate that the inexpensive ones are
> inexpensive for a reason (i.e., cheap crap), unlike Brother. Any HP
> would be fine - they have great Linux support. I would also avoid
> Canon (inkjets) like the plague - the color is great, but they break
> down frequently, if you can find a Linux driver for them. My wife has
> a Canon on her Windows PC, and it is the fifth or sixth of a series of
> "free" printers we got over a period of a few years, all due to
> warranty replacements (the others all failed), plus their newer
> printers have custom ink cartridges that are expensive and getting
> smaller. Don't know about Canon lasers, although Canon has been
> extremely Linux-unfriendly with their printers (love their cameras).

No experience with Samsung printers. I've heard of some people having
good results, some not.

>
> I would also avoid anything by Lexmark - I've never had any good
> results with them, and I've never heard of any, either. Don't even
> know if you can use them with Linux....

Lexmark inkjets for sure are almost universally unsupported on Linux.
Years ago they had a fairly high-end inkjet with a PostScript engine
pasted onto the back (under a plastic bubble) and it worked great. I
wore one of 'em out. but the ink is a killer.

I've heard that their laser printers are good and do work on LInux,
but again I have no experience.

I'm certainly pleased with my Brother laser. it's printed somewhere
in the range of 4000-5000 pages on the original toner cartridge and
one replacement. the replacement is near ready for another replacement,
but that's better life than they claim. It "just works."

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv) -----------------------------
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

David McGuffey 12-19-2009 10:33 PM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 10:52 +0100, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 20:20 -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
> > Oldest son came back from college and wants a printer for his Dell
> > laptop. I built it with CentOS 5.3 x86_64 several months ago and will
> > upgrade it to 5.4
> >
> > The Cannon printer he now has (bought with the laptop and Vista through
> > the university book store), doesn't seem to have linux drivers.
>
> what model printer is this? Did you check http://www.linuxprinting.org?
> You may also want to take a look at turboprint www.turboprint.info , it
> is commercial, but offer good quality drivers for a lot of printers. It
> will still be cheaper than to buy a new printer....
>
Yes, I checked that site. The printer is a USB Cannon IP1800. Chasing
links I found at linuxprinting I had to go to Japan to get a driver, but
it wouldn't work.

My HP Photosmart 3210 (ethernet) at home works on CentOS. I may give
him that one, and buy a new printer for CINC House and me.

DaveM

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Stephen Harris 12-19-2009 10:40 PM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?
 
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:33:18PM -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
> Yes, I checked that site. The printer is a USB Cannon IP1800. Chasing
> links I found at linuxprinting I had to go to Japan to get a driver, but
> it wouldn't work.

Try

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0027213.asp?model=

(found from http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010455.asp )

Even includes a nice rpm which has a cups PPD driver :-)

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.