Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 AM
MHR

Default College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:33:18PM -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
>> Yes, I checked that site. *The printer is a USB Cannon IP1800. Chasing
>> links I found at linuxprinting I had to go to Japan to get a driver, but
>> it wouldn't work.

Been there, done that - one reason I recommended avoiding Canon printers....

> Try
>
> http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0027213.asp?model=
>
> (found from http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010455.asp )
>
> Even includes a nice rpm which has a cups PPD driver :-)

If this works, go for it. Does this mean that Canon is coming around,
finally? Two years ago, they didn't acknowledge that Linux was
anything other than a nose-up-turner....

(I'd still stick with Brother or HP. If the Canon ink cartridges are
the newer, electronically aware/controlled kind, I'll be surprised if
you don't want to switch soon enough anyway.)

Best of luck anyway.

mhr

Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 AM
John R Pierce

MHR wrote:
> (I'd still stick with Brother or HP. If the Canon ink cartridges are
> the newer, electronically aware/controlled kind, I'll be surprised if
> you don't want to switch soon enough anyway.)

I like the carts on my Canon i9900 photo printer... they are simple
clear plastic carts, with a prism molded into the bottom of the ink
compartment... the printer shines a laser up into the cart, and can
tell exactly when the ink is low and when its gone. so simple its
silly. These are Canon BCI-6x (where x varies with the color)

catch-22, afaik, its impossible to get this printer working with
Linux. It prints gorgeous 13x19" edge to edge photos, uses 8 ink
colors (black, cyan, magenta, yellow, photo-cyan, photo-magenta, red,
and green). Its quite fast for an inkjet, too, considering how
excellent the quality is. Hasn't clogged ever in 3-4 years of
moderately heavy but intermittent use. Had to clean the bottom of the
inkjet plate once when ink buildup started to leave little streaks on
the bottom 1/4" of the pages of photopaper.

HP is the one who likes to chip their cartridges, that and Epson.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 AM
MHR

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 6:27 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> I like the carts on my Canon i9900 photo printer... they are simple
> clear plastic carts, with a prism molded into the bottom of the ink
> compartment... *the printer shines a laser up into the cart, and can
> tell exactly when the ink is low and when its gone. * so simple its
> silly. * These are Canon BCI-6x (where x varies with the color)

Yeah, those are the good ones. I have a Canon i560 inkjet that my son
likes, and it uses the BCI-3 black and BCI-6 color cartridges. Those
are terrific - you can use generic ink in them for refills and they
just work and work and work (except not with Linux, as John says).

The newer ones I've had were the IP4200 and IP4300, which use the
PGI-5 black and BCI-8 color cartridges, and the IP4600 (current one),
which uses the 221 and 222 cartridges (I forgot the letter). They
only work with the Canon cartridges, and those run $50 for a set at
Costco, more everywhere else. I don't know if they work with Linux or
not, but the ink is prohibitively expensive, and they are really
fragile and nitpicky. the 4200 and 4300 only lasted about 6 months
each, and the only reason the 4600 hasn't given out yet is that, due
to the cost of the inks, we don't use it much.

I love Canon cameras, and their printers produce gorgeous printouts,
color or b/w, but they are expensive and don't work with Linux. For
myself, I use the Brother for 99% of everything, and my HP4350
fax-printer inkjet for faxes and (rarely) color - it's cheap as long
as I don't overuse it.

mhr

Old 12-20-2009, 11:21 PM
David McGuffey

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 18:40 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 06:33:18PM -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
> > Yes, I checked that site. The printer is a USB Cannon IP1800. Chasing
> > links I found at linuxprinting I had to go to Japan to get a driver, but
> > it wouldn't work.
>
> Try
>
> http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0027213.asp?model=
>
> (found from http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010455.asp )
>
> Even includes a nice rpm which has a cups PPD driver :-)

No joy:

When I start to install with rpm, here is what I get:

Missing Dependency: cnijfilter-common >= 2.70 is needed by package
cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386
(/cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386)
Missing Dependency: libxml.so.1 is needed by package
cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386
(/cnijfilter-ip1800series-2.70-1.i386)

I'm using x86_64, and not keen about installing i386 packages. Any
incompatibility issues with running i386 packages on a 64 bit CentOS?

DaveM

Old 12-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Louis Lagendijk

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 18:42 -0800, MHR wrote:

> Yeah, those are the good ones. I have a Canon i560 inkjet that my son
> likes, and it uses the BCI-3 black and BCI-6 color cartridges. Those
> are terrific - you can use generic ink in them for refills and they
> just work and work and work (except not with Linux, as John says).

See http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-i560
Gutenprint should support your printer....

Louis

Old 12-21-2009, 01:00 PM

>> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
>> papers. On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
>> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
>> satisfy the requirement.
>
> I wouldn't buy a color printer at all.
> I assume, every decent college has some sort of print-shop on the campus
> where you can make high-quality color printouts for pennies.
> For black&white, I'd buy a decent laser printer.
<snip>
I'll second this. A couple years ago, when the inkjet I had died, I looked
at other inkjets (ANY MAKE *O*T*H*E*R* than HP!!!), and then the salesguys
chatted up a cute, small HP Laserjet 1018 (HP Laserjets, on the other
hand, *are* still good). After the promotional discount that was literally
half the price, I got it for about $68. No, that's not a mistake. It's
worked very well (though that model, I had to build the driver for). Color
- I get someone else to do, or do it at work.

mark